TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: VJ-14/11 hybrid  (Read 1727 times)

Christian

VJ-14/11 hybrid
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »

I just got a VJ-11 compressor housing and wheel (Thanks azgtx!) And well I just need some instructions on how to hybrid them together, it looks pretty straight forward but this is a first time taking a turbo apart for me. Does anyone recommend me going to a place that rebuilds turbo's and have them do it? Or should I be fine just doing it myself.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
VJ-14/11 hybrid
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »

I'm going to recommend going to a turbo shop.

There'a a lot of controversy regarding slapping turbos together, in regards to the balance of the assembly. The actual assembly you could do yourself no problem - but the concern lines in the rotating bits. A turbo shop will dynamically balance the parts upon re-assembly so that everything spins true.

However, the other train of thought, is that all parts are balanced initially from the factory, so putting them together any which way will result in a balanced assembly. I've heard of people doing this and having no problem.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Christian

VJ-14/11 hybrid
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »

Hmm, I think just to be safe I'll goto a turbo shop. Although now it may have to wait a tad bit longer due to money trouble haha