TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: VAF upgrade  (Read 2716 times)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
VAF upgrade
« on: January 31, 2009, 05:41:00 AM »

I see a lot of discussion regarding the VAF.

I have not personally worked with an RX7 VAF. There is scarce info about using it out there...try the 323performance forum. It seems its used more on the BPT engine?

Anyways if you're looking for a REAL upgrade, check this out. A Laser TX3 guy down in Oz has come up with a clever replacement for the flapper door VAF...it uses a GM hotwire MAF. If you're not familiar with the units, they're 3" in diameter with a few wires inside that are used to sense airflow. They're very free-flowing compared to the stock VAF. It uses a microcomputer to convert the GM maf signals to mimic a stock VAF.

http://www.fordlaser.com/viewtopic.php?t=70944

It should be noted that at this time only the BPT units are available...one of the guys there is working on a B6T unit. This would really open up airflow on the intake and its a lot less work than trying to run something like a Megasquirt standalone.

Anybody with experience with the RX7 VAF please let us know what you did and how it ran.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Yuri

• Old-Timer
VAF upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »

as soon as the b6t one is ready, i will be too  

1992xr2

VAF upgrade
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »

The voltage outputs are completely different and incompatible without seriously modifying the signal on the rx-7 vaf and the upgrade would be pointless as b6t vafs are the same size as rx-7 stuff  
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.

Phillip

VAF upgrade
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »

I bought one of the RX7 88-91 B-code VAF's and am going to see how it will work. I have read a a few write ups on it and from what I understand thay are plug and play with the B6T. As far as size they outwordly look the same. From what I have read these will anly add a few HP on the top end. I put the HKS cast aluminum J-pipe on my car and it seemed to open up throtle response a bit and definitely flowed better than the stock plastic restrictor. I will take a caliper and micrometers to it and post back when I am done.

Phillip

VAF upgrade
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »

One more thing this is from the N/A version of the RX7.