TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Trans leaks everywhere.  (Read 2412 times)

Braden

Trans leaks everywhere.
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »

Hey there, I've got a problem I've been putting of for too long. My manual transmission has 3 different leaks on the bottom side, all around the drain plugs. I washed it all down with break cleaner and dried it to find out exactly where the leaks are coming from and all 3 of them are from the drain plugs. 2 are the larger 21mm plugs I believe and the other is the small 10mm plug.

I tightened them all down 3 different times now and I'm afraid if I turn them anymore they'll strip the aluminum threads. Are any of these supposed to have a gasket like on an oil drain plug? Or are they already stripped and is causing the persistent leaks? I haven't had this stubborn of a leak from a stick trans before.
Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time for any info!

rcdraco

Trans leaks everywhere.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »

Dumb suggestion.  Use teflon tape maybe?  Manual transmission might get hot, but probably only as hot as your water in your house.  Worst Case scenario the oil burns it off.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Trans leaks everywhere.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »

There is only one drain plug, it's 24mm. The other bolts hold internal parts of the trans into place. Can you get a picture of the leaking bits in question for us?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

Trans leaks everywhere.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »

Wait yeah.  Are you sure it's not just like a differential gasket leaking down to those 3 points?  Transmissions are at the absolute bottom of the car, can be any number of things that could hide a leak.

Braden

Trans leaks everywhere.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »

Both shaft seals are new and they were dry all around them. But I never knew the others were holding parts on the inside, did I just make a bigger project for myself?! I'll get a picture up as soon as I can.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Trans leaks everywhere.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »

Depends on what bolts you took out, and what they were holding in & if anything fell inside. Some of the bolts retain the shift linkage, springs, ball bearings, detents, etc. Some won't do anything if you pull them out

RC: There is no differential gasket. The two halves of the transmission case are sealed with a thin bead of RTV sealant.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

Trans leaks everywhere.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »

I meant the axle seals, sorry.  That's why I said from the side down, not from the seam.

Braden

Trans leaks everywhere.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:46:00 AM »

These two are the problem ones, the one facing forward on the right side isn't so bad, but the smaller one in the middle facing down is the worst one. After I cleaned and dried it off I can watch it drip after about a minute.