TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: valve cover studs  (Read 2154 times)

Hollis

valve cover studs
« on: February 19, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »

Were can I get chrome studs for my valve cover. If possible. I'm going to replace them ebcause one is almost rounded off.

I figure I'll end up redoing the gasket in the breather too. I hope it fixes why my car throws it out threw it.

A roll of cork will be fine for it right? And do I need a special gasket for my turbo when I put it back on. I'm going to be pulling it off this week to check it out and possibly rebuild or replace.

rcdraco

valve cover studs
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:58:00 AM »

You might wanna stick with the valve cover gasket kit, Unless you feel confident getting the plug seals dead on.  They need a wedge in order to grab the cover properly, to keep oil out of your plug wires.

As far as the bolts are concerned, other 323 forums just say to use any old bolt as long as you keep the torque low and proper.  Chrome bolts like that should be fairly easy to come by, either a hardware store, or measure them up and look online.  Or if you're lucky to have a pull yard nearby there's plenty of cars with the b6 engine that have the same bolts.

Hollis

valve cover studs
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »

I put a new one on last summer. And well Matt was talking to me about the blow by. And said something about the seal inside. I'm gonna redo that when I take it apart. because I have a feeling I fucked it up.

I got the gasket from autozone about 6 months ago and its been sitting in the car. Last time I did it it seemed like it didn't leak into the plugs.

Trying to not mess up anything else as I try (hence try) to repair my car lol. But I think I'm going to remove the turbo first and make sure all is good.

If not, I'll be shopping for a turbo I guess. But I guess its time for an upgrade   :D

(edit)
On a side note. Will cork work for the breather gasket? They sold me a roll of it to redo it.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
valve cover studs
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »

Cork? Um not really. The OEM baffle seals are black RTV silicone. Return the cork and grab a tube from the autoparts store. Make sure the baffle sealing surfaces are cleaned really well, & a bit of degreasing probably wouldnt hurt. Don't overdo it with the silicone.

You can order turbo gaskets from RockAuto.com or special order through most autoparts stores
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Hollis

valve cover studs
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »

I hope thats whats wrong with it. The cork I got like 6 months ago when everything first started to happen. Then winter came and I couldn't do ne thing. I'll toss it to the side and pick up some of that stuff. I think I might have some laying around in my basement tho.

Hollis

valve cover studs
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »

So update to the never ending fun of my capri. The gasket for inside the breather was completely utterly fucked outta its mind. It was this tanish hard stuff. It looked like bondo was used. So I got some ultra black rtv silicone gasket maker and I'm going to redo it. Then put my new felpro valve cover gasket in and be done with it. Possibly put it bakc together and see if it still smokes. The pcv valve was full of oil.

So here is my thought. The oil was blowing threw into the intake that way and causing it to smoek out of its mind. So I'm waiting for the kerosine to dry off of the valve cover (Buddy let me use his parts cleaning machine) Then I'm going to assemble the new gaskets and let it cure till tomorrow.

Possibly take the capri for a ride if it doesn't smoke.

Fingers crossed.