TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Newbie! 03 Code CID  (Read 2344 times)

hashadenough

Newbie! 03 Code CID
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »

Hi all! Just found your forum! Hope it's gonna help!! (I use a Trailblazer forum and a Harley forum all the time and the knowledge out there is amazing!)

I bought my daughter a 1991 automatic (non-turbo) and we have done lots of work on it. Usually runs great. She loves it!

Had a no-start, no-spark condition awhile back. Ordered and installed a reman. distributor. We did plugs and wires and a ignition coil first. Seemed it must be an ignitor. Anyway, the complete distributor seemed to make sense cost-wise.

Got all that done and it started right up and ran fine. A couple days later I started getting a CEL. I thought I might have the timing off, but didn't know whether that would send a code. Had a mechanic buddy set the timimg. He saw what he thought looked like a discolored/burn mark on one of the CID connector plug holes. Very slight mark, but I checked it anyway. all the wires seem fine, no discoloration inside the plug or on wires.  

I put an O2 sensor in it, only because it was cheap and I knew it could throw a light (I know, I know, diagnose before you throw parts at it).

Anyway, light still comes on and the idle stumbles bad. Seems to be okay reved up in park, but stumbles at higher RPM on the road.

Checked the flash code for the CEL and got 03. I have the (1500 page!!) shop manual and FINALLY found the page that tells me to check CID. Funny that the mech. had mentioned the "burn" mark on the plug. I thought, That's it! I checked the plug and the wires involved again and they seem fine - even followed the wires back inside the distributor and the connections inside there seem okay too.

How to I determine what to replace? The distributor is new (well, reman.) just weeks ago. Any advice on which direction to go would be greatly appreciated!!

By the way I tried a search and only found a link to a post by Rabbit, with a CID issue that ended up being the ECT sensor...

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
Newbie! 03 Code CID
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »

Welcome, welcome, welcome!! Glad you found us. There is a wealth of knowledge to be had on this forum, it's the first place I go when I need help or advice. I can't help you with that particular electrical issue, but I know someone can and will very soon.

Also, you might want to check out the Facebook groups. They both are pretty active and if you need something answered in short order, you can usually get a faster response there. Here are the links:

1991-1994 Mercury Capri Owners Group

1991-1994 Mercury Capri Owners

Again, welcome and enjoy your Capri.
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

hashadenough

Newbie! 03 Code CID
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »

Thanks man! I will check out the facebook groups. My brother is a mechanic and I know a little bit on my own, but this little car has been kickin my butt!

Thanks for the nice welcome!
John