TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Rough running  (Read 3094 times)

Windolicker

• 91 Capri non turbo 5 speed
Rough running
« on: December 17, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »

I have a 91 na 5 speed and recently started running with which seems to be a misfire in other words my engine sounds like it's a Volkswagen bug doesn't rev quick takes time to get up into the RPM's but does get there I can still do 70 miles an hour on the freeway terrible gas mileage no engine light coming  on takes twice as long to accelerate up to 65 miles an hour on the freeway as consistent as the problem is makes me makes me think it's an injector problem have checked the cap and wires any help advice would be appreciated also noticeably different exhaust sound wow sounds like a new Subaru WRX boxer motor or like I said before a Volkswagen bug motor
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:17:39 PM by Windolicker »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Rough running
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 11:49:23 PM »

Sounds like you're only firing on half of your cylinders. Which could very well be something with the injectors - perhaps the ECU is not sending the signal? The injectors are grouped into two/two which fire at the same time.

A voltmeter and maybe LED probe would be handy to test the injectors
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 01:20:42 AM »

I would start troubleshooting by pulling the wires off the spark plugs one at a time while the engine is idling.

If you find one that doesn’t seem to affect the idle, then that’s the cylinder(s) where your misfire is occurring.

JJ

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 12:18:37 PM »

I would start troubleshooting by pulling the wires off the spark plugs one at a time while the engine is idling.

Is this still a valid test for our computerized cars? For some reason I'm thinking you can damage something doing this.... (computer, distributor modules, etc)

blueamber

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 08:50:08 PM »

Pulling plug wires is definitely still a valid test on our cars.  If its just one cylinder with an issue, could be a burnt exhaust valve...