TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Steering Wheel Adapter?  (Read 7765 times)

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Steering Wheel Adapter?
« on: November 19, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »

Anyone know of a steering wheel adapter for these cars. I also am looking for a stock Ford steering wheel that might fit on. Does anyone know any steering wheel thats a direct fit?
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Casper

• 93 XR2 and 91 Turbo Clubsprint (tribute)
Re: Steering Wheel Adapter?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 09:35:25 PM »

Aftermarket steering wheel boss kits will fit - it is the same part as an MX-5 (I guess it is a mazda steering column) - I had no trouble fitting one to my 93 capri here in Australia - the boss kit will fit all types of aftermarket steering wheels with standard bolt patterns.  I have a SAAS steering wheel boss with an OMP steering wheel.

The horn button also works no problem with the boss kit.

Not sure about other car steering wheels although arguably some mazda vehicles may fit?  Never tried them......

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:06:25 PM »

Aftermarket steering wheel boss kits will fit - it is the same part as an MX-5 (I guess it is a mazda steering column) - I had no trouble fitting one to my 93 capri here in Australia - the boss kit will fit all types of aftermarket steering wheels with standard bolt patterns.  I have a SAAS steering wheel boss with an OMP steering wheel.

The horn button also works no problem with the boss kit.

Not sure about other car steering wheels although arguably some mazda vehicles may fit?  Never tried them......
Thanks. I've been looking for someone from Australia. Im Converting mine to the Australian Spec. What sizes are the Ford Badges? Also Any idea on Australian Stock Steering Wheel, what i could use from the states? Other than that is the Australian Capri different other than badges, and Single Cam?

Casper

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 05:03:32 AM »

The Ford badges are small size - about 75mm (3 inches) wide.

You may want to have a look at www.carsales.com.au which will have capri's for sale in Australia with lots of photos to compare.

I don't know what other steering wheels would suit.  The 93-94 XR2 (they were sold in turbo and n/a in Australia) have a sporty 3 spoke steering wheel.  I think the earlier models had a different square centre type wheel - I think the Mercury version had bulkier steering wheels again...?

I have a Momo steering wheel in my 91 clubsprint replica.

I dont think there are many differences between versions other than DOHC in all models from SC onwards (late 91 I think).

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 09:21:27 PM »

Thanks alot great help. Yea the US versions got a giant square wheel with a airbag, like this https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M8afd235fa21936491bf8c02ca7711beao0&pid=15.1 . Its terribly ugly, and has a airbag not something i want to break my ribs with. Also it came with a huge mercury logo on the airbag.

Casper

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 10:26:31 PM »

That would be right - none of the oz versions had airbags so we can use very slim style steering wheels and aftermarket wheels very easily.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 10:01:40 AM »

In earlier threads, someone said late 80's Mustang wheel would work.  I wonder if that means US cars have different columns than the Aussie version?  I can imagine the airbag might require a different design?

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 01:55:20 PM »

The Mazda use a splined shaft, and the US version of the Capri did not.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 07:33:04 PM »

So I should use a Foxbody Steering Wheel Rocket, will that bolt on, i plan to use a older non airbag wheel ? Also Casper why does Australia name cars with a two letter designation, like Ford Capri SA, or Ford Falcon XB?

Casper

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 05:16:21 AM »

Thanks for the info Rocketman - I didn't know the steering wheels in US versions did not have the splined shaft which Aussie versions have.....with no airbags it makes other steering wheels an easier choice compared to more modern cars with air bags now.  It is illegal in Australia to remove airbags if fitted.

WashiestSnake - all Australian cars have historically used a 2 character model designation as opposed to model year references.  For instance the Capri was designated SA, SAII or SA2, SC and then SE in final form.  The Holden Commodore (which is also the Chev SS in US currently) used a V designation beginning with VB in 1978 (then VC, VH, VK, VL, VN, VP, VR, VS, VT, VX, VY, VZ, VE) and finishing with VF in 2017 - they are not always in sequence but are used to differentiate.  I believe it stems from an original GM system where the first letter designates a platform and the second letter represented the year of design, again not in alphabetical sequencing.  This isn't the case in modern cars but more just to differentiate series of vehicles.  Often we Australians will describe our cars by this model code, for assistance "I have a VE" meaning "I have a Holden VE Commodore".  This applies to other older Australian cars like Ford Falcon (XT, XW, XY for instance) or Chrysler Chargers/Valiants (VJ, VH, etc).

Having said that, Model Year (i.e. MY15) is becoming more popular from car sales and advertisements and will probably grow once local production of cars ceases soon (Ford in 2016, Holden in 2017 and Toyota in 2017).

Hope this makes sense....

Casper

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 05:31:11 AM »

Oh - I also chuckled that you are making an Aussie replica of your Capri - it is a big thing in Australia for Holden Commodore buyers to option Chev badges on their cars given GM link between vehicles - Chev is seen as being cool and exotic over here......

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »

Thanks Casper that always confused me about Australian cars. The reason why im converting it is I  feel having it be labeled as a Mercury is a sham, theres nothing even remotly fancy in it. It doesnt have power locks, anti-lock breaks, or even a good stereo, all of which if it was built as a Mercury in the US would have been standard. Im also a giant fan of Australia, and the British Ford Capri, so in a way I feel as this is the car in its true nature. The US Capri has Ford badges all throughout the car, such as on the glass, and the little trim on the door entreance, without the badges like mine you would have no way to distinguish if its a Mercury or not. If i had the money i'd ship over a junk Oz Capri, and convert mine to left hand drive. Lol I kinda feel as a bogan as you guys would say over there. I just want to honor my car in the best way I can, and try to distinguish it from all the Capris around me.

Chicken

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 02:28:36 PM »

Use the nose badge from the Probe.

I see you have a dedicated thread for the badge question.  I'll leave this here for the odd search someone may make in the future.

Even though it's redundant.  My apologies to Admin.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:31:10 PM by Chicken »

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »

Yea I wanted to get rid of that thread. There really is no need for it now. How do I get it closed?

ianj

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 05:47:45 AM »

Hi, regarding differences between US mercury capri's and Aussie ford capri's.    All aussie capri's have height adjustable steering. I think the mercury doesn't ?    And of course none of ours had any airbags, but at least we got the clubsprint which is my favourite.   It only came in three colours, black, turquoise and white.  I have one of each but I'll dismantle the white one for spare parts this year.    There was only 400 of them ever made so they are tipped to become a collectors car but that hasn't happened yet. Average price between 5 to 10.000 aus dollars.    Ian