TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Boost w/o chip, Other Body Kits and Springs  (Read 2534 times)

TurboChief1989

Boost w/o chip, Other Body Kits and Springs
« on: May 26, 2010, 05:37:00 AM »

First off I want to say "What a great forum for the OZ Capri!" I am the proud new owner of a 1991 Turbo XR2. When I went to by it I was under the impression she was stock with the general upkeep done. (i.e timing belt, clutch, tune up, etc....) When I got there to look at it I discovered it had some nice stuff done already. 3" exhaust, HKS knock off blow off valve, gauges. She screams!!! I did have to change the O2 sensor for A/F gauge to work right. I have since adjusted the boost up and she rips. I know don't go past 10psi w/o a chip. I have been tuning turbo cars for a while now (Ford 2.3 and Mazda 2.2)and have went the caveman way around the need for a chip below 16psi. Once I got the O2 sensor in and the af gauge working properly I went to the TB and adjusted the a/f mixture on the TB to richen the mixture. If you turn it in you close the air bypass and richen the mixture, then you have to adjust your idle setting. This was a little trial and error, but I got it in the sweet spot. She boosts to 14psi all day long on a stock system and still stays in the stoich area under boost and gets 30+ mpg. Just my .02 cents.

The other topic is that I was curious if there were any other makes and models of bodykits and lowering springs that might fit? Before I get BLASTED, I know that with enough work most anything will fit. I am curious about older Miata or Civic body kits. The width is pretty close to ours as far as an eyeball view of them. I know there will be some cutting on the kit to make it fit. There is no way I will cut up the fenders, so don't suggest it. Just want to see if anyone else has thought of or done this type of mod? Also same goes for the lowering springs from a Civic, CRX, etc... with a 1-2" drop?

drbob

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 05:45:00 AM »

Welcom TurboChief member #2900 (wow 2900 members).  Welcome to the best Capri forum in the world.  As for technical help; we have people who have done almost everything to their cars, up to and including making their Capri an AWD vehicle.  Enjoy your journey with your Capri, I have owned mine for 12 years and have always and still say it is the most bang for your buck fun you can have with a car.
Mid-America Capri Gathering Founder/Team Capri Moderator
--------------------------

1994 Mercury Capri made in AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIAN Cattle dog/brittney mix
AUSTRALIAN Shepherd
Is anyone else sensing a pattern?

bhazard

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 04:54:00 AM »

Wait, you did what?

Could you elaborate a little more, and maybe take some pics of what you did?

I always thought that screw on the TB was for setting the idle itself, not for adjusting mixtures.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »

Turbochief, welcome to the forum!

Bhazard, you're correct. The TB is not a carburetor, there are bypass adjustments for idle but no mixture adjustments. The only mixture adjustments we have are in the VAF in either the bypass screw or the spring that loads the flapper door.

Also, running 14psi *is* possible but I highly recommend against it. If you had wideband O2 you'd notice that you're running dead lean under boost, around 16:1 AFR. An OEM O2 sensor and narrowband gauge could easily see this as stoich, which regardless is also not a desirable AFR for running under boost.

Back in the day when I was experimenting I did run higher boost without a chip, and experimented with extra injectors and alternative fueling methods. The extra power derived from running proper AFR's under boost was a night & day difference.

This is my $.02
-Matt
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

bhazard

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »

It just reminded me of a guy that talked to me at a weekly cruise a couple weeks ago. Basically he told me chips are trash and I should sneak air past the VAF because at WOT the injectors are just dumping in all the fuel they can anyway. He went on for literally like 20 minutes describing how I should rig my stuff up to run tons of boost (and 99% positively implode my engine). Instead of simply having my ECU chipped and removing an overboost sensor...
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

TurboChief1989

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »

Well I don't know about Mr. Trash Talker and his rant about chips and tuners.  I prefer to tune the ECU or chip it any day over the archaic caveman approach that I did. I have even used the APEXi SAFC II and NEO to tune in my Turbo 2.3 Mustang and Merkur. They worked great for me! The other reason(s)I did it this way was because u could tell the screw was messed with, the car ran good but was still off and I am not made of money and didn't have means for a chip or a tuner or a wideband at the time. So I had to do something with what I had. I adjusted the screw all the way in and it richened the mixture up a lot. I agree with both of you as it being an idle adjustment. Whether it was supposed to richen the mixture or not, it did. I had to turn the idle plunger where the cable hooks all the way in to get desired idle. Adjusted the MBC and drove it around the block, got 14 psi showing on the stock gauge after a couple of tries. I know the stock gauges suck, but hey its all I had to work with. The A/F was pig rich. I backed the TB screw out 2 full turns, then reset idle. A/F ratio was still rich at 14 psi but not as bad as before and no black smoke from the exhaust. I filled it up with gas (93 octane) drove it around until near empty. Filled up again, calculated mpg and I got 20mpg on that first tank compared to the 23mpg before adjustment, so I know she was way too rich. I turned the screw out 1.5 more turns and filled up with gas. Drove that tank out keeping an eye on the a/f gauge. Was still rich on the gauge, but better, got 27 mpg. Filled up again, Adjusted the screw 1 more turn and idle one more time, drove through that tank and pulled down 30+mpg with a/f gauge just into the rich zone under boost. This was done on an extended road trip with open road and stop and go traffic all in one. Now is this a good way to tune in your motor? HELL NO!!! This is dangerous for the motor and your wallet if not watched carefully. Did it work on a bare bones budget? HELL YES!!! All it cost me was some time, patience and some panic attacks when I went under boost. I have since driven the car well over 1000 miles since the last adjustment and have had no adverse affects on the car or drivability. Will I leave it this way, no I doubt it. I am back in a better financial position than before and will be getting a chip and a wideband as soon as possible.   Definitely a wideband first, just to see how effective or ineffective the caveman tune is working.

bhazard

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 03:37:00 AM »

I believe your "idle" adjustment is actually the dashpot that determines how fast the throttle closes.

Do you have the overboost solenoid hooked up?

TurboChief1989

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 03:48:00 AM »

Boost cut is unplugged