TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Racing Interior Conversion  (Read 5295 times)

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
Racing Interior Conversion
« on: April 24, 2015, 06:17:30 PM »

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone has knowledge of how to complete racing interior upgrades. Here's my list of stuff if like to do:

-Suede racing bucket seats for driver and passenger
       -the seats come with sliders, but will I also need to buy aftermarket brackets?

-Racing harnesses
       -any brand suggestions? G-Force is in my price range
       -should I do 5 or 6-point?
       -should I do cam lock or latch-type

-Suede racing steering wheel
       -what are the size requirements?
       -how do I disable airbag?
       -any ideas for horn button relocation?

-Roll cage installation
       -6-inch square steel plate measuring 1/8-inch thick must be welded to the floor as a base for each bar that makes its point of contact inside the car; where are the best spots to put these "bases"? Would the space under the rear seats work?

BTW the rear seats have been removed.

I would greatly appreciate any advice/input on this conversion.
Thanks!
('94 n/a 5spd)

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
Re: Racing Interior Conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 11:59:05 AM »

One thing I have found is that an aftermarket steering wheel requires an adapter. I found a nice Sparco adapter (made for ford vehicles) with quick release for $30 on eBay. Once you have that, any standard aftermarket wheel will bolt to it.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »

One thing I have found is that an aftermarket steering wheel requires an adapter. I found a nice Sparco adapter (made for ford vehicles) with quick release for $30 on eBay. Once you have that, any standard aftermarket wheel will bolt to it.

I'd like to know how that works out.  Have been wondering if the column is Ford or Mazda.  I figured Mazda would make more sense, like a 323, but you never know. My Fiesta is the same as a RX7.   I'm thinking of changing the wheel on the Capri  for one more sporty looking.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 10:06:11 PM »

Has anyone replaced their steering wheel with a sportier wheel that supports cruise control?  Do they make such a wheel?

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 10:22:36 PM »

Yeah I'll let you know if the Ford adapter fits, or if I end up needing a Mazda one.
I haven't found any aftermarket wheels that come with cruise buttons, but given that all the wiring is there, you could buy the buttons on eBay from a car that has the buttons attached to the wheels, but not actually on it. For example, look up a picture of the QX4 steering wheel. I think you'll see how it could be done.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 04:59:26 AM »

The column, oddly enough, is a Ford column. I used an early 90's Ford adapter in my GTXR2.
It fits, but the contact wheel on the bottom required significant modification to mesh with the Capri bits. I think I ended up making a wood spacer.

There may be better options out there.

I sat down & reverse engineered the cruise control system one night. I forget the exact details, and I doubt I made notes. So here's what I remember:

There are 3 wires with slip-rings to the steering wheel. These 3 wires operate the horn + the whole cruise control system.
I don't remember the pinouts.
The cruise system uses only two of the wires, despite there being 4? 5? switches.
It uses a crude serial system. Each switch is connected to a resistor of a different value.
The cruise module reads the button presses on the same two wires, and the different resistances correspond with a different button press.

I planned on adding simple pushbuttons to my steering wheel, with the appropriate resistors, to retain cruise despite the aftermarket wheel.
You'll have to take the stock buttons and measure them with an multimeter to get the appropriate resistance values.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 08:29:44 AM »

The column, oddly enough, is a Ford column. I used an early 90's Ford adapter in my GTXR2.
It fits, but the contact wheel on the bottom required significant modification to mesh with the Capri bits. I think I ended up making a wood spacer.

There may be better options out there.

I sat down & reverse engineered the cruise control system one night. I forget the exact details, and I doubt I made notes. So here's what I remember:

There are 3 wires with slip-rings to the steering wheel. These 3 wires operate the horn + the whole cruise control system.
I don't remember the pinouts.
The cruise system uses only two of the wires, despite there being 4? 5? switches.
It uses a crude serial system. Each switch is connected to a resistor of a different value.
The cruise module reads the button presses on the same two wires, and the different resistances correspond with a different button press.

I planned on adding simple pushbuttons to my steering wheel, with the appropriate resistors, to retain cruise despite the aftermarket wheel.
You'll have to take the stock buttons and measure them with an multimeter to get the appropriate resistance values.

Now that is really interesting.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 01:44:49 PM »

Oops. It was an early 90s Ford Mustang adapter. An el cheapo eBay special. Would not recommend, quality was questionable -especially for something that holds the steering wheel on. (i wasn't going to spend $$ on something I didnt know would work) it ended up sort of working, so. lol

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »

Oops. It was an early 90s Ford Mustang adapter. An el cheapo eBay special. Would not recommend, quality was questionable -especially for something that holds the steering wheel on. (i wasn't going to spend $$ on something I didnt know would work) it ended up sort of working, so. lol

No problems other than the cruise connection?  I don't have cruise... :)

Jack
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »

The cruise connection is also the horn connection, youll need that

Stay away from the el-cheapo adapters though!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 10:18:02 AM »

The cruise connection is also the horn connection, youll need that

Stay away from the el-cheapo adapters though!

Dang, I hate unnecessary complications.

Jack
Jack Byrd

Casper

• 93 XR2 and 91 Turbo Clubsprint (tribute)
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 07:59:18 AM »

Hi All,

new to this forum and just saw these posts.

I have 2 cars here in Oz, a 91 SA2 Turbo and 93 SE XR2 N/A.  The turbo is a Clubsprint replica with body kit and capote, as well as lowered suspension, upgraded exhaust and the Clubsprint 16" wheels.  It also has boost control.

I recently acquired the turbo with the desire for some track fun - so I had a roll bar installed which to be an effective roll bar, as well as ensuring the roof can be closed and the capote open, was a big job - as well finding suitable mounting points.  It is not technically a motorsport approved roll bar but the the super sprint racing and hill climbs I have done it is not mandatory - my wife however made it clear it was mandatory....!! 

I also wanted it to be a street car as well not full time race car (no fun in waiting to drive it 5 or 6 times a year).

I will upload some pics when I work out how to.....

Paul