TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Still no heat  (Read 5463 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Still no heat
« on: November 19, 2014, 06:18:12 PM »

Well, I found the plastic mechanism the closes the heater door and it was broken.  I wired it shut and expected to have heat.....wrong.... >:(  The hoses coming inside the car are both to hot to handle when the engine is up to operating temp although the small tube at the back of the block is cool.  Is it possible that the coolant isn't circulating and the air cools off the core and I get no heat?  Other ideas?

Thanks, Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Still no heat
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:48:27 PM »

A little confused? You say "both" heater hoses are hot but then say the little one on the back of the block? That should be the heater outlet hose.

So if one is hot and the other cold then most likely the heater core is plugged up.  You can remove both hoses and try back flushing it but it will still be scaled over unless chemically treated. It's hard to get them 100% clean especially if old gasket material clogs the tubes. They tend to wedge in there. The best fix is to replace the core.

If you have a different cold hose we need to discuss block to where? The only other small hoses are the bypass hose from pipe to thermostat housing and towards the front/backside of the engine the IAC to intake hose. Oh yeah almost forgot the long tiny hose from pipe to throttle body and then throttle body to IAC to complete the loop.

mitch1204

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 02:41:13 PM »

I just read your other thread Jack. I keep wanting to call it an IAC but yes it sounds plugged up. Keep in mind the coolant is fed to the throttle body, then the ISC and then to the intake. Anywhere in that area can be the culprit. The ports are smaller on the throttle body than the ISC so????

Back to the heat if both hoses are hot indicates flow leaving only two possibilities. The door you have wired in the wrong position or the heater core is scaled over bad but not yet clogged.

The ISC problem too sounds like the cooling system needs a serious cleaning. Is your reservoir brown?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:43:40 PM by mitch1204 »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 08:11:40 PM »

Just clarity's sake, the coolant originates at the manifold nipple, flows to the ISC/BAC valve, then throttlebody, and then into the bypass tube. The water is pressurized and flows from the head. The header core sources the coolant from the other side of the manifold, and returns to the pump via the bypass tube.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mitch1204

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »

When you say bypass tube do you mean that "L" shaped hose under the distributor or the hard pipe?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »

The metal line that runs around the block is the bypass tube. The 'hard pipe'
The other end of it sticks directly into the water pump inlet
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 12:00:09 PM »

I appreciate all this information.  Gonna have to mull over it and take a flashlight and see what I can see.  Right now, I have a bigger problem.  Yesterday when I came home, I had steam coming out of the hood.  There is anti-freeze leaking out(at a pretty good rate) in the area behind the engine in the area of the heater hose, directly above the exhaust pipe.  It just keeps coming....lol.

Thanks for the info though, Jack
Jack Byrd

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 12:24:46 PM »

Ouch...back of the motor work sucks.

mitch1204

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 04:44:46 AM »

Thanks Rocketman for the info.

Jack if you go to buying heater hoses they sell a heater core to pipe hose and a heater core to block hose. That heater core to block hose is the wrong hose. I'm not sure what the deal is with it but it's way too long in the middle stretch. I've checked all the local parts stores and several online stores. They all have the wrong hose. One site in the description did say w/o AC so maybe that's it.

To solve the problem the heater to pipe hose works perfect in both spots coming off the heater core.

I've checked everywhere to see if that hose will fit anywhere and there is nothing even close. So I guess that hose will hang on the garage wall for a very long time. 😊
That hose does come with a braided protective sleeve on it so it must rub on something.

Good luck fixing it. After two leaks I went ahead and changed every hose on the car. A couple are a challenge to find.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »

Thanks, didn't occur to me that it was a special hose.  I made an appointment at my favorite garage to have it worked on tomorrow.  Think I'll check with Advance and see if I can get them.  How many hoses will I need, have to do some more research.

Thanks for the info,  Jack
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 07:16:10 PM »

The "heater to pipe" hose is readily available everywhere. Just buy two of them and it will fit on both sides of the heater core.

At Advance...
2 each of #87621 for heater core
2 each of #86500 for little L hose under distributor and for ISC to intake, requires trim to fit but works well.

Don't buy #87678 is a bad listing. I'll sell you mine for 50% off, lol.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:19:00 PM by mitch1204 »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »

Oh oh, I ordered two heater to pipe hoses, but only one ISC hose.  Have to see how all that works out.

Thanks, Jack
Jack Byrd

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 10:07:25 PM »

Got one heater hose, the leaking one, and the L hose under the distributor installed (did you want the other hose installed too...duh).  Seems the ISC is stopped up, can not blow through it.  Can it be cleaned out and does it have to be replaced?

Thanks, Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd