TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Car won't hold a charge,  (Read 6141 times)

lumbeepride

Car won't hold a charge,
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 04:58:00 AM »

well ,i do have a warranty, but the battery test good.. but the previous owner started having problems after he tried wiring up a radio...the radio is no longer in the car though.
lumbeepride, \\"trust the chief \\"

lumbeepride

Car won't hold a charge,
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »

update, had a system check, alternator isn't charging, its the 3rd one put on, and its saying it isn't charging, does it have a voltage regulator, and no my battery light doesn't come on, idk what to do!!!

lumbeepride

Car won't hold a charge,
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »

no, advance done a system check, alternator wasn't charging. sooo...idk what else to do..new 3 alternator...and battery..no what!?

BlewitUp

Car won't hold a charge,
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »

If you have a warranty on your alt., get a new one...  Battery tests out?  Leave it alone...  I personally would replace it, and get one with a warranty.  I it is possible that the battery is testing within spec, but still not good.  Did the previous owner by chance have subs in the car?  They will cook a battery and alt.  Trust me.  Ask me how I know.  Also, if he/she did, it might be possible they drilled through the fire wall to run the larger gauge wire.  Is that wire still there?  Is it rubbing and chaffing on the firewall? Have you inspected the wiring ALL THE WAY THROUGH????  To me, it sounds like you are losing power between the alt. and the batt.  Might be able to disconnect them and do a continuity test to the chassis and see if it's grounded out, but better to look it over because it may not be making that connection solidly all the time, especially since you say it only losses voltage when it's running.  I am assuming it holds a charge when it's off?

It's a long shot, but you're not getting very far as it is.

blueamber

Car won't hold a charge,
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »

On my first Capri I installed an aftermarket radio, then had dead battery syndrome.  At night I could see the radio lights slightly on, seems I had tried to connect the radio so it would work without the ignition on, and crossed a wire...sorry its been 5 years, don't know which wire, but worth checking out as maybe the original failure...Chris in FL
Pages: 1 [2]