TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Timing Belt  (Read 2737 times)

billibarou

Timing Belt
« on: January 03, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »

Well I finally got the exhaust done on my Capri a couple weeks ago and took it up to get the emissions test and it died getting off the freeway.  Well after doing some investigating the timing belt broke.  I removed the upper timing belt cover to have a look and it was laying there.  Anyone have tips on doing a timing belt on my car it's a 1991 NA?  I am naturally going to replace the water pump and I thought about replacing the alternator while I have it apart.  I am going to work on it a little at a time.

rcdraco

Timing Belt
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »

Buy a complete timing kit, includes a tensioner and idler, and some include a new tensioner spring.  Last thing you want is one of those to fail on you after you fix it all.

And obviously get a helper to get the belts over the cam sprockets to get everything right.

billibarou

Timing Belt
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »

When you say helper do mean something to lock the cams in place while I put the belt on?  I was thinking of using a couple crescent wrenches and a c-clamp...