TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Help - need new speedo gear  (Read 2917 times)

Joe M

Help - need new speedo gear
« on: March 13, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »

I was checking the level/condition of the trans oil on my '91 XR2 by using the speedo gear as a gauge (as per the shop manual) and as I was putting the gear back in, the "ear" that the bolt goes into snapped right off.      It's JB-welding right now, but I don't know if it will hold.  Does anyone have one of these off of a trashed XR2 G-trans or something that I can buy?  I need the gear that mounts from outside the trans and that the speedo cable screws onto.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »

This has happened to every speedo gear I've ever touched - its crappy potmetal. Mine broke just right so that when I bolted the tab down - the angle of the break held the rest of the cylinder down. I never looked into fixing it properly but a washer or JB weld like you're using might work just fine
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Phillip

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »

I have an extra.You don't just pry them out you have to twist and pull at the same time.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »

I have one once i get to the XR2 to part out..I just repaired mine with a nut and some sheet metal..never leaked a drop..main reason i never used my spare.LOL

Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Joe M

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »

JB appears to have held -for now.  I would like to go ahead and buy a gear off of one of you. How much?

Joe M

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »

JB appears to have held -for now.  I would like to go ahead and buy a gear off of one of you. How much?