TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Engine swap  (Read 4672 times)

tellerx

Engine swap
« on: August 04, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »

I WANTED TO KNOW IF A MAZDA 1.8 WILL BOLT UP TO THE AUTOMATIC TRANS IN THE CAPRI AND IS ALL THE ENGINE MOUNTING THE SAME

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Engine swap
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »

Hey Tell!  No! The 1.8 is longer and requires modified engine mounts. Having not done a 1.8 myself I don't know all the specifics. But there are also some changes in wiring and electronics included. There maybe something in our old forum posts if not some of the 323mazda forums have it. All the ones that I've briefly read on involve manual trans.  Good Luck!  Gus.

Phillip

Engine swap
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 05:58:00 AM »

it's doable but the trans probably won't last too long.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Engine swap
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »

Its do-able but I would recommend using a manual trans. The 1.8 is a great swap but after having done it there is a ton of work involved in making it fit in a capri.

There is someone on the Yahoo list with a n/a BP, but I dont recall if he is using a manual or auto tranny
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

tellerx

Engine swap
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »

well the reason i brought this up was because there was a turbo charged one from South Caro on ebay i aked the guy if it was a bolt in swap and he told me it was and that included the turbo and 5 speed. So i was thinking on doing that on my girls car which is an automatic N/A and could use a little more weboes.he also replied that it had no issues with over heating or parts breakage

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Engine swap
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »

Hey Tellex! Why would you consider the swap when there are so many Turbo capris for sale with-in a couple hundred miles of you? In my constant checking of the net I encounter three to six turbo capris available at any time in Denver, Vegas, And Phoenix. Sometimes more.  Gus

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Engine swap
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »

Yeah a plain B6T swap will be a night and day difference... and a BPT swap in a FWD car as light as ours is a suicide machine...

The BPT requires cutting and welding of the passenger framerail to fit...also modification to the engine mounts. The throttle body *barely* clears the brake master cylinder, fuel lines have to be run all over the place, the intermediate shaft mount needs extended. (keep in mind the BP/BPT block is an inch longer than the stock B6...might not seem like a lot but it doesnt really fit without cutting) Its a mess and isnt really for the faint of heart. I'm lucky I have a cheap welder, and access to nice welders at work and scrap steel...stuff to fab with

Phillip

Engine swap
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »

You are going to need the harness,ECU and a host of other parts to do it. This is by no means a drop in. you'll need fabricating skills and tools along with electrical skills and tools also machining skills and more tools and CA$H!

I think Gus is right just buy an XR2! If you want to spend money buy a muscle car. At least in the end you can recover some of the money!

By the way how is "you're girl" with all this rip this out and replace that shit!

Let her keep the automatic and find something a little more conducive to mods for your self, you'll need a running car to get back and forth from the bone yard with anyway!

Phillip

Engine swap
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »

Oh, did I say you would need tools?

tellerx

Engine swap
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »

So from ur experience the N/A automatics are kinda stuck with the power they come with stock

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Engine swap
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »

well if you try to put more power through the automatic it wont handle it very well

non of the non-turbo transmissions can handle a lot of power