TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Hi im a new member i drive a 91 mercury capri N/A 5 spd  (Read 3697 times)

boostedlife

• 91 Mercury Capri N/A
Hi im a new member i drive a 91 mercury capri N/A 5 spd
« on: October 13, 2014, 04:09:11 PM »

I drive a 91 N/A Capri, my goal for this car is 200 to the wheels and an 8000 RPM red line. This car is staying N/A im not a fan of turbos. I drive my car hard, she is never really below 4 grand due to the power band of this car. I am not nice to the clutch i powershift and double clutch, i have a lot of winding roads near were i live and i heal toe through them. I need to know imidate upgrades i need to make so she will survive me, i reacently turned the shift linkage bushings into dust and am replacing it with bronzoil bushing this saturday and i have a cold air.
Smoke em if you got em

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Re: Hi im a new member i drive a 91 mercury capri N/A 5 spd
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 04:56:13 PM »

There is one cheap and easy mod you can do right now, if you want to turn your Capri into a 200hp monster: a "for sale" sign, then buy a XR2.

Without a turbo, there is absolutely no possible way to push these engines past 150hp. You can upgrade the exhaust, and gain a few....you can upgrade the air intake and gain a few...and after that?  Well....that's about it. You can use every "Hot Rod" trick in the book to up the power even more, but you still won't be close to the 200hp goal.

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »

Welcome to TeamCapri!

You're pretty open about beating on your car. So I'll be pretty open regarding your wants:

-200hp is not attainable out of the stock engine. Swap it for a bigger engine, or get a turbo. 8k RPM requires a $2500 valvetrain and even more in the bottom end. 7200RPM is the highest safe RPM limit. Your stock ECU limits you to 6800. These engines do not make their most power up high, it's not a honda. The sweet spot is 3500-5500.
-Beating on your car is going to make it break. The transmission you have will give out if you continue to abuse it. They are not strong.
-As for immediate upgrades to ensure her survival, im not too sure - A capri is a special animal of a car, parts are sometimes hard to find and upgrades even harder. You will have to get creative with some parts.

This forum is here as a resource for you, & everyone else. There are plenty of people who have been there before you & have posted their discoveries & stories - if you look around, and search - you'll find the answers to most of your questions here.

-Rocket

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:24:55 PM »

Just beat the car up as it is. 😊

Then when it meets it's untimely death and you're walking then you'll learn to respect your investment if you don't wrap yourself around a tree first. I had a friend like you in high school. Scared the living crap out of me the first and last time I rode with him. He made it to age 18 before he hugged a big oak.

No such thing as power shifting. No need to double clutch when your tranny has synchronizers. Synchronizes are little brass rings that fracture easy when you don't clutch or don't know how to float gears. You have to match road speed with the engine speed. Even then there fare no shortcuts to magically make you go faster by ramming it in gear. A real driver knows his engine and it's limits. He doesn't tear up his equipment up.

If you want something fast you need to start with more than 100 hp and 1.6 liters.

Buy you something like a Camaro or 300ZX if you want to go around corners sidewards. Something with a 6 Cylinder or better and RWD. You're trying to run a foot race in high heels. No matter what heel you buy you ain't going to win the race, only look pretty.  😄

aw2oban

• 66 Stang, 92 xr2 (x2),01 F250 7.3, 03 CVPI CNG
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:22:37 AM »

You guys are brutal......albeit accurate......but brutal none the less!!!!! :)

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »

what a dooofus...have you tried demolition derby???

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 12:53:27 AM »

"You're trying to run a foot race in high heels. No matter what heel you buy you ain't going to win the race, only look pretty.
---Quote of the year!!

Yes, it may sound brutal, but it's better to let him know now, than to let him spend big money and still come up short of his goal. There are many of us here that prefer to go much faster than a stock Capri goes - lesson #1...you can't do it in a N/A Capri!
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 11:05:09 PM »

Doesn't like turbos yet has a screen name of Boostedlife.  Epitome of irony?