TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Fuel Pump  (Read 2114 times)

Nascarfan08

Fuel Pump
« on: March 10, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »

Hey all! It's been a while.

I was driving in the Capri on my cross-country trip from Charlotte NC back home to Michigan for spring break when I had a problem:

The car had been running great the entire trip, averaging about 27 MPG and everything. I pull into a gas station, let the car cool off for about 30 seconds, shut it off, fill it with gas, go into the bathroom, come out, and the car won't start. It cranks just fine but no start. Going through step-by-step I figured out that the fuel pump was not coming on when the key was in the "run" position. I tried checking connections and rapping on it a few times to see if I could shake anything loose, with no luck. I then remembered the "fuel pump test connector" under the hood. I shorted out the connector, switched the key to "on" and the pump started running. I cranked the car and it started right up. I ran it the rest of the way with the wire in the connector, not taking any chances. When I got home, just to check, I pulled the wire, but the pump still runs fine.

I have never had this problem before and I haven't been able to recreate it. I thought it could be the relay, but now I am back where I was- the car runs just fine, without the help of the jumper wire or anything.

Any suggestions on what caused this seemingly freak-incident?

Thanks!
Scott
1991 Silver Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo convertible

bryanknight

• 91 foxboy modified, 91 capri xr2 modified,
Fuel Pump
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »

i have not had this problem with my capri yet... but i have the same problem with my buick its runs great then one day its stops and im stuck for a least an hour before it will work again and i said i was going to fix it  so i bought the pump and everything to replace it that was a year ago has never done it again still got the new pump lol i think its just a freak thing sometimes

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Fuel Pump
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »

The Capri fuel pump will not run in a key on situation...most cars prime the pump and fuel rail when you turn the key on but the capri does not. The pump switch is located in the VAF, meaning the engine has to be cranking and drawing air before the pump will run.

It could have been a freak dead spot in the pump that you knocked loose. There is a Capri owner local to me and I helped out with an similar problem, it was just a dead spot in the pump.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"