TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Mercury Capri clutch slave cylinder  (Read 11540 times)

quelfboy99

• 1991 Mercury Capri base
Mercury Capri clutch slave cylinder
« on: November 29, 2023, 05:03:55 PM »

hi I am a first-time mechanic and the clutch slave cylinder went bad on my Capri. As it's located in a hard-to-reach location I was wondering if you guys had any tips on getting to it. Thanks

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
Re: Mercury Capri clutch slave cylinder
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 07:30:48 AM »

Undo the two nuts for the front transmission mount from the underside of the crossmember, then use a jack with a block of wood on the engine oil pan to lift it up by an inch or so.

When you do this, you will roll the engine/tranny backwards giving you way more clearance for removing/installing the slave cylinder. Which can now be done easily from above by reaching down to it.

quelfboy99

• 1991 Mercury Capri base
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 06:32:21 PM »

thanks!

McClain

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 06:50:26 PM »

Just did my clutch and had to do a new slave cylinder. Best to drop the cross bar at the bottom for best access because I tried to do it with it in and it was very hard. Also if make sure you correctly bleed the slave cylinder because it caused me a lot of trouble to get it right, best bet is to compress it with a c clamp and then attach the hose with fluid in it or it will fill with air at the end of the slave cylinder and won’t bleed out but also won’t give you enough pressure to move the clutch. That’s my two cents on it though!