Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

Condenser, Compressor or Re-gas ?

(1/3) > >>

spiro:
Okay, so when I use the heater or air con, it barely blows out air, and its neither hot or cold not matter where you set it...

Unplugged the two hoses (entry and exit hoses for the heater core) at the firewall, and did a flush. Stuck a garden hose in both ports, and flushed it good. Rusty water and a little bit of gunk came out. Connected hoses back up.

The Car now has Hot air when you turn the heater on ! Yay! and its like a burning hot. Excellent! So the coolant now is flowing in and out of the heater core properly.

I still cant get icy cold air when I switch to cold and flick the air con on.... its a very mild/moderate cool but definitely not cold like a proper air con....

What could it be do think ?

Gus Kelley:
Hey Spiro! First thing to check is if the compressor clutch engages. If it does, then check if there is any refrigerant. Generally if the refer. non existant ,the compressor will not come on. If the refrig is low, then it will cycle rapidly. Also i'm having a problem in one my capris now, I found that the doors controlling every thing are not working. Just haven't had time to look into it. Good Luck Gus.

spiro:
All fixed... it ended up being a fauly relay....

plus he replaced the "receiver drier"
and installed new port adapters for R134A.
Aparently our cars have an old air con and gas system. There is a new standard now.. so he changed it all over.

wierd...

regards,

GrooveNerd:
Due to the efforts of the enviro-wackos*, the R-12 A/C refrigerant that the 91-93 Capris came with was outlawed as being "environmentally damaging".  (Allegedly, this heavier-than-air gas magically rises to the upper reaches of the atmosphere and causes holes in the ozone layer.    :rolleyes:    )  Therefore, since R-12 is no longer available for sale in the US and most of the world, A/C systems must be retrofitted to the new R-134A refrigerant.  More money out of your pocket to protect you from nothing.

*It should also be noted that duPont's patent (and therefore their ability to make $ on all R-12 sold) on R-12 expired the same year it was outlawed, and that the replacement, R-134A was developed and patented by duPont.  But I'm certain that this fact would have had no bearing on the product being "banned" at that time...

Marty

1992xr2:
^^ I lol'd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version