Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

1990 losing power under laod

(1/3) > >>

Benbob:
Hi, I have a 1990 n/a OHC manual that will start and idle fine, but, when I go to drive (especially under anything over feather light acceleration)  it begins sputtering, spitting, misfiring, jerking, and losing power. Sometimes the Techoeter will smoothly drop by 2000 before beginning to accelerate for a few seconds, then repeat.

It has done this twice before but the problem went away by itself after sitting for a while. However, it seems to have set in permanently after driving to the other end of the island and back (approx 5 hours). although it made the trip ok - the next time I went to drive it, all hell broke lose.

I've replaced the fuel & air filters, spark plugs & leads, rotor & distributor, and put fuel treatment in.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I'm at my wits end, maybe the timing belt slipping?

Gostlrs:
1 can of B12 Chemtool.....

Phillip:
Universal fix for everything motor?
Any compression check? How do the plugs look. Ever check the timing? Cracks or leakage in the intake system? The belt ever been replaced?????

Think first (what would cause this), check second (timing, etc.) and post third? No information no diagnosis possible!

My car ran like shit until I replaced the valve cover gasket and the wires! Been driving it 2-3000 miles a month ever since with 28 MPG mixed usage (for some reason the gas pedal sticks to the floor every time I drive it! Oh yea that's my foot stuck to it!)!

Gostlrs:
mine did same thing when it was down to 1/4 take gas....chemtool fixed it..LOL

its my fix all

Benbob:
Geez, do you you you work for chemtool or something?    And I replaced spark plugs, like I said before. I've checked my intake system, yet haven't found any leaks at all - and yes, I've sprayed the vaccum lines with crc too. I really don't know if the belt has been replaced or not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version