Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

Fuel Pump Question

(1/2) > >>

jweddy:
ok, fuel pressure only seems to be about 20 which seems pretty low.  so trying to replace fuel pump.  Found access plate under rear seat, too it out.  We then removed all the little screws around the assembly plate or whatever you call the plate where the lines and wires go through.  but the  assembly plate isnt budging at all.  Is there something we missed or are doing wrong?  What is the trick to getting this thing out?  any advice greatly appreciated. thanks

Dmaggs:
If you removed all 8 screws from the circular plate, then all that's holding it in place is gasket/gasket maker. A PO might have used some kind of gasket maker that really sealed it on. Did any of your little screws break when you removed them? I ran into that issue when I was changing out my fuel pump last month. Strongly suspect you just need to break it free from the gasket material--then once it's loose it's just a little fiddly to twist and remove it out with the fuel sender and all.

jweddy:
Thank you, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I started prying too hard to get it out, and fortunately no broken screws

EShepherd:

--- Quote from: jweddy on May 04, 2023, 01:53:12 AM ---Thank you, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I started prying too hard to get it out, and fortunately no broken screws

--- End quote ---

Lucky you. I ended up having to drill out 4 of those little bastards. Nothing like drilling into a box full of fuel vapors to wake you up in the morning  :-\

With all the screws out, just stick a flat head under there and pry it up, she should give up. 20psi of fuel pressure is far too low, you want around 38-42 if I remember correctly. Did you do anything to test/check your fuel pressure regulator or its vacuum reference?

What part number fuel pump did you order, and is it correct? I'm on a roll now, I've got a collection of 3 pumps that Rockauto sold me. All of them are different, and none of them fit.

Dmaggs:
For what it's worth I bought this kit and it worked great for me! https://www.ebay.com/itm/125862019094

No affiliation to seller, just happy that it worked out so well for my fuel pump replacement needs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version