TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Torn CV boots.  (Read 3822 times)

Sparky2009

Torn CV boots.
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »

So last month I picked up a '91 capri with 85k miles.  So far the only thing that might need immediate attention is replacing the front CV boots (which i confirmed are torn).
Wanting to spare myself from a $600 garage bill...I've been searching for parts online.
I am finding parts listed as "CV axle half shafts" one for the right.. and one for left.
They seem pretty reasonable.  Does anyone have experience installing these.  And does a "CV axle half shaft" even fix the problem of torn CV boots?
Thanks for any help!  :confused:

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Torn CV boots.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »

Yes it replaces the whole axle with new ones. If the axles are worn out from the boots being split they will need replaced.

However its just as much work to replace the axles as it is to fix the boots. How long has the car been driven on torn boots? Generally they deteriorate quickly as soon as water and debris can enter.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

delhiboy3732

Torn CV boots.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »

I just replaced mine last week.

The best deal I had was at Checkers/Schucks auto.

Driver side $60 for a reconditioned one with lifetime warranty after giving the core back to thm.

Passenger side $59 for a brand new one. No core was needed. Also, had a lifetime warranty.

I know its strange how the brand new part is cheaper by a dollar when compared to the Reconditioned one.

By the way they were made by Master Pro and is a special order item.

delhiboy3732

Torn CV boots.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »

Mine is XR2 and I believe it has different half shaft.

Sparky2009

Torn CV boots.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:25:00 AM »

Thanks all.  Delhi, Did you replace the axles yourself or through a shop?

delhiboy3732

Torn CV boots.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »

I replaced them myself. Although, I had to use the help of my roommate to yank them out. Putting them in is easy for 1 man.

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
Torn CV boots.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »

I know this is an older thread, but I have another noobie question.  :confused:  Once you replace the half shaft, does a front end alignment need to be done? I can't see why it would, but it was brought up by someone here at work and I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Torn CV boots.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »

well, you're disassembling the front end. I could see it potentially screwing with things.

But FWIW I've torn the front end apart many many times and never needed an alignment.

YMMV -
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
Torn CV boots.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »

I guess it all comes down to being careful and paying attention to what you're doing. I hope to tackle this before the weather gets too cold since I have no garage, so I will be sure to post if I have any issues. Thanks for the info.
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\