TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: R-12 to 134a conversion  (Read 3458 times)

Ronaldhoff

R-12 to 134a conversion
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »

The A/C on my 92 Capri does not work.  I suspect that there is a leak in the system.  I plan to convert the A/C system over to 134a.  Other than changing the obvious, such as valves, compressor oil, and refrigerant, is there anything else that should be done?  Has anyone done this?  Does the converted A/C work as well as before?

Yuri

• Old-Timer
R-12 to 134a conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »

just get an r12 refill kit from Canada or something.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
R-12 to 134a conversion
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »

There are R12 equivalents that are not R134a available, I think one is called Freeze12

You can have a leak check performed on the system with special UV dye to determine if there are leaks, there are a handful of o-rings that can lose their seal.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Grn92RX2_Newbie

R-12 to 134a conversion
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:01:00 AM »

Our '92 we just acquired had ice-cold A/C. It had been on a Used car lot for quite a while, so I'me surprised that it worked at first and then quit, instead of the other way around. Usually they leak down from sitting when the lubricant dosen't circulate and the seals dry. then they are fine after a charge and running with the oil plumping up the seals again.
Alas, it ran Icicle generating cold from the vents just before it didn't function the next day. I'm presuming it lost pressure enough to prevent the clutch from engaging the compressor.

I've had reasonable luck converting to R134a on larger cars with greater capacity to compensate for the difference in the efficiency; the newer kits are better for allowing you to avoid replacing many of the components, just for lubricant compatibility. By all, means, if you have the components from a later version available, use them for both the capacity and compatibility.

For now I'm trying to find a source for R12 dye to find my issue. I may be able to aquire some R12 if I fix the leak, I need to find it first. As far as Canadian sourcing?! This is the first I've heard of there being a difference in availability over the border. I'm near Detroit, so I could be over & back in a flash, if needed.

RonZee

R-12 to 134a conversion
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »

As far as I've heard, R-12 is being fazed out all over the world so can you even get it in Canada?

As far a a conversion kit goes, I've done 4 of them in different cars here in the yard. The're pretty cheap and you can get them at even Wal-Mart. Some of the instuctions could be better though. How's it work? Pretty good actually. The Buick here has been going 2 years on it, my Capri for 3, my old 83 blazer as far as I've heard is still working after 6 years. The Pontiac though has a slow leak. Thats where them cheap wally world cans come in.    

Best thing though is to have it checked for leaks especially if you somehow come across some R-12 as this stuff is bad for the environment.  
Speed is a question of money,, how fast do you want to go?

Ronaldhoff

R-12 to 134a conversion
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 03:51:00 AM »

R12 to R134a Update
About a week or so after my last post I had my a/c system converted over on my '92 Capri.  At first, the a/c did not cool well at all.  I believe the mechanic did not fill the system to capacity.  Before I returned to the shop where the conversion was done, I discovered that the system had the same capacity as the one that came on the '94 models.  At autoacrepairs.com there is a handy listing of a/c system capacities.  When you scroll down the main page just click on "Freon Capacity" on the menu.  I found a lot of other useful information on their website pertaining to auto a/c systems.  I informed the mechanic of my findings and after he added an ounce or two more of R134a, I was happy with the a/c as the car once again has ice cold air! What a relief it was during the HOT summer we had here in Northern VA.