TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Couple questions 91 Capri standard  (Read 3359 times)

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
Couple questions 91 Capri standard
« on: September 28, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »

Hey folks, I just have 2 questions that may seem a little silly, but I am new to the Capri world, so here goes...

1. My headlight motors seem to be working fine, but when I turn off the lights and they go down, I hear a strange clicking sound coming from behind the dash. Sounds like it is coming from right behind the radio. Any ideas?

2. What is the plastic cabling that goes along the edge of the soft top? Is it absolutely necessary for the structural integrity of the top? It appears it is normally encased in the channel the steel cable runs through, but my glue has come a little undone, so it is exposed. Can I just take out the plastic or should I just pull it tight and reglue the edges?

Thanks in advance for your help.
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

rcdraco

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »

The first one is the relay, it's located right under your radio behind the dash there.  Mine clicks when the contacts get dirty to the driver's side motor.

Not sure what you mean about the second one, pictures might help someone figure it out.

tonlaw71

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »

I kinda figured that was the relay. Gonna check that out first thing in the morning. I'll post some pics of the plastic cabling in the soft top tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.

rcdraco

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »

To be honest the relay was not failing in my case.  It clicking meant that there was a wiring issue, not an issue with the relay.  If the headlights didn't work at all, or say they constantly went up and down that is more indicative of internal faults in the relay.  

I would check plugs to the headlight motors or the connector at the relay.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 03:58:00 AM »

In my experience the clicking is due to a dirty rotary switch in the motor. Can still work fine though.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

tonlaw71

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »

Thanks everybody. The mysterious clicking has stopped. Just a few cycles up and down and with the lights and all seems to be fine. Just hearing the single click from the relay now which I understand is perfectly normal.

As far as the strange plastic cabling I was talking about in the soft top, it appears to have just been there to keep the shape of the edge of the material that goes along the top of the windows. It fell out today and hasn't caused any problems, so Iam just going to forget it was ever there.