TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: running rough on cold days  (Read 3239 times)

huzrddy

running rough on cold days
« on: November 23, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »

the problem I am having is the car does not want to run when I have to start it and warm it up.  anytime the temp outside is 38 or below, the car doesnt want to stay running it will hunt and scavange worse and worse till it fianlly dies out (rev between 2k and 500 rpm.)  once itreaches full operating temperature everything on the car seems to level out and run fine.  Any thoughts on this?
Nitrous is like a hot bitch with an STD, you want to hit it, but you are scared of the consequences.

Phillip

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »

IAC/BAC Valve on the bottom passenger side of the Manifold. Remove it, flush the crap out of it, pour some vinegar into the hose nipples and let it sit a day. Flush it again and get some pipe cleaners(The kind with embedded wire in them) and clean out everything again. Flush it one more time and reinstall it!

huzrddy

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:20:00 AM »

Today I pulled the car inside to check out about pulling the IAC/BAC for cleaning and all that goodness (in other words to locate the damned thing lol) and I heard a faint vacuum leak.  that is when I noticed the BOV is actually sticking slightly ajar.  I covered the front cone and what do you know the idle leveled out.  I removed my hand and the car promptly started hunting once again.  so now starts the fun of finding a blow off valve that I can just do a plug and play type deal with since this one is actually welded to the intake.  thanks for the prompt answer and I may still pull and clean the other components just for good measure.
Nitrous is like a hot bitch with an STD, you want to hit it, but you are scared of the consequences.

bhazard

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »

Get an SSQV style... the knockoffs are as low as $50 shipped on ebay and theres no adjustment needed. With the 19mm RX7 adapter it goes right in place of that tube that goes to the stock BPV.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »

try the adjustment on the back of the BOV... maybe take it apart and lube the inside to keep it from sticking. Dont you have an SSQV? usually they dont need maintenance.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

sterling94capri

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 04:54:00 AM »

I have a spare crossover pipe if you need it. You said yours is welded,if you go with the adapter like I have I don't think you can reuse yours.I will give it to you for what I payed midco+shipping.I am only 100m west of chicago.Good luck.Rocky