TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: How can I tell if it's a short nose crankshaft?  (Read 3172 times)

Colorado1

How can I tell if it's a short nose crankshaft?
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »

I may be picking up a 91 and I want to be able to tell if it has one of the breaking short crankshafts. Read a thread with the link to the crankshaft problem, then a post said you can't tell by the # of holes in the pulleys like in the miatas. Can I tell from the bolt size? Or is there a VIN # start/stop date as in the miatas? There's no sense in rebuilding it with that crank. As long as the car sticks around just a little longer I can afford to get it(mainly just for the hard top & turbo + extras). Not as many hard tops around here like out east. Was going to be a winter engine rebuild but that crank can make or break the rebuild.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »

Personally I've only ever seen one B6T thats ever had the snout completely break off. The most common problem is the keyway failure, which is most commonly due to improper torquing of the crank bolt. I wouldn't be afraid to build one.

The # of holes in the pulley works for the miata, but I don't know if it does on the capri. I think the bolt size may differ? 19mm on the small, and 21mm on the large? I'm not entirely sure on that so check first. I'll look at some engines maybe tomorrow.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Colorado1

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:37:00 AM »

Thanks RM, the hard top I was after sold. Now some moron is trying to sell one w/o rear window for 500.00. Hopefully I can get this whole car for 650.00. Just missing door panels & window motors. Would really like to work on a spare engine. He doesn't even have pics. so asked what shape the top was in & bam-it had a hard top! Car doesn't  look bad either.