TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: stock door buzzer annoyance removal  (Read 6339 times)

supercowmoo3

• 1991 mercury capri n/a, 1984 vw rabbit diesel
stock door buzzer annoyance removal
« on: May 02, 2015, 04:47:40 PM »

Anybody know where the door ajar alarm is located? I went on all data and it said that a timer/buzzer is located next to the turn signal flasher but I'm not sure if that's it or not. If someone has removed this annoyance before would you please help me locate it?

oz-fire

• TeamCapri Supporter
Re: stock door buzzer annoyance removal
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 06:45:15 AM »

I believe its under the console ,under the ash tray

supercowmoo3

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:27:37 AM »

I found the thing and it was the timer/buzzer located above the fuse box next to what I believe was the flasher for the turn signals. Now I don't know what it's use it other than emitting a headache inducing noise but it looks like there's alot more going on in there than just that. There's resistors and capacitors and more resistors. Its a pcb full of stuff that has to do something more than make noise. I'll post a picture of it and hopefully someone knows if it's important or not

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:58:43 AM »

I've had tinintinitis(ringing in my ears) for a number of years.  Oddly enough it's the same frequency of the warning.  I can't hear it because I have that same sound inside my head 24/7.  Drives my buddy crazy when I leave my keys in the ignition.

Jack
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:17:08 AM »

Actually that is not a door buzzer but a key in the ignition buzzer. When you open the door, hey you left your damn keys in the ignition, lol.

I never dug too far as many cars the buzzer is part of the back of the instrument panel. There is a relay panel above the fuse box. I have seen a few buzzers there. It would look like a turn signal flasher but have a round disc on the end that acts as a speaker.

This is how I disabled mine, fairly easy. You'll need a #2 Phillips head and a pair of wire cutters. Remove the center trim cover under the steering column by pulling on it. It snaps into place. Then remove the steering column trim. Two screws underneath hold it on. One screw is obvious and the second screw is kind of hidden beside the white button to return the key back. All you have to do is remove the bottom piece. Look at the key cylinder. You'll see one single black wire going into the cylinder. Cut that wire in two. It is a ground wire where the key completes the circuit for the buzzer. Cut the wire leaving enough room to crimp it back together in the future if you so chose. In other words don't cut it flush with the lock cylinder. Whallah you are done except for putting the trim back on. Just make sure the wire is separated, tape it if you like.

Putting the column trim on don't do like I've done and screw your heart out because you have the left screw in the white button hole and not the screw hole right beside it, lol. Start both screws before you tighten it up.

Lock cylinders occasionally have to be changed. That said if you follow the wire far enough then you might find a connector you can just unplug. I didn't want to spend more time than I had to. The connector might be a foot or two from the key cylinder.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for the destruction of personal property, lol.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 10:50:13 AM by mitch1204 »

mitch1204

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »

I found the thing and it was the timer/buzzer located above the fuse box next to what I believe was the flasher for the turn signals. Now I don't know what it's use it other than emitting a headache inducing noise but it looks like there's alot more going on in there than just that. There's resistors and capacitors and more resistors. Its a pcb full of stuff that has to do something more than make noise. I'll post a picture of it and hopefully someone knows if it's important or not

It sounds like you found it. I should of read the whole thread first, lol. If it is part of a timer then other circuits run through it like the seatbelt warning. It probably buzzess or the seatbelt warning light comes on for a fixed time and then shuts off. Just cut the column key wire like I said and you'll only be disabling the one circuit for the key in the ignition.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 10:43:52 AM by mitch1204 »

supercowmoo3

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 11:20:27 PM »

That information was really useful as its probably better to leave it in rather than remove it completely like I did lol. I was planning to remove parts of the noise coil that's on the pcb of this thing to disable the annoying noise and then reinstall the part and see what happens. I'll probably still do that and if dash lights start flashing because I screwed up a circuit I'll just pull it all together. So far no problems with just having it out though lol

mitch1204

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 02:23:22 AM »

I think all that's on that circuit is the key in reminder when the car is off and the door open which bothered me. Then there is the key on, door ajar and then the seatbelt warning. At most you would do is disable all of them. The fuse is #10, red 10 amp, 4th one down on the left side. It's shared with the clock and interior/trunk light. So you might keep an eye on them things. If that doesn't work shoot it, lol.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 09:14:51 AM »

According to the electrical schematics, the buzzer/timer is for key reminder, seatbelt, and overboost switch on the XR2s.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 06:12:37 PM by chrispoe »

supercowmoo3

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 10:57:19 AM »

I drive a 91 n/a capri though lol. Anyways I haven't noticed anything strange while just having it out of the car completely other than the sweet sound of silence when I open the door. Thanks for the info guys

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 08:23:46 PM »

I drive a 91 n/a capri though lol. Anyways I haven't noticed anything strange while just having it out of the car completely other than the sweet sound of silence when I open the door. Thanks for the info guys

The under-dash electrical systems are pretty much the same, theres a handful of extra wires on the XR2
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"