TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Front End Clunk Clunk  (Read 5949 times)

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Front End Clunk Clunk
« on: December 14, 2014, 08:11:19 PM »

I have ideas but sure could use some help. I noticed driving down  a gravel road I have a clunkity clunk coming from the front end. Coasting, driving, it's there. Hit the pavement and it quiets up.

I have New struts and mounts, new ball joints and tie rods. I visually inspected the control arm bushings and they look okay from what I see.

Could it be my CVs, motor or tranny mount? They perform well otherwise. No turning clunk. I just got done replacing the rear wheel bearings which were shot.

Jim Simms

• 1991 XR2 Cardinal Red, great body, needs paint
Re: Front End Clunk Clunk
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 01:24:34 AM »

what about front axles?
I had to replace mine. Boots worn, dirt in bearings.

mitch1204

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 01:00:31 PM »

It's a possibility. The boots aren't hurt, only dirty. I've changed everything else so why not? 😊

T Rex

• 1993 Capri N/A. 1995 Rover Mini. 2011 TDI Jetta
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 09:51:33 PM »

How about the sway bar mounting bushings or the sway bar end links? Mine are cracked some on my car. Not making noise yet and I have the parts but can wait until Spring. Just a thought. That stuff can drive you nuts....

mitch1204

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 07:41:52 PM »

It does drive me nuts after all I have done. I'll check the sway bar bushings closer. I just looked at it briefly. I did say to myself "this doesn't look like a normal sway bar", lol. Time for a closer inspection.

The plastic skid pan crossed my mind. But I can isolate the sound to either depending which side is hitting bumps.

I'm leaning more towards the CVs or control arm bushings. May be something with the new Monroe struts and old wore out springs??

It's too dang cold to crawl under there now. :)

Jim Simms

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 04:27:10 PM »

Just had front right wheel bearing replaced. Bearing had only 3-4 little balls, which caused a noticeable "pop" when backing out of driveway and turning to the right.
Also could hear grinding, when driving. No grindind when stopped at idle.
Bearing replaced, no noise now.

mitch1204

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 05:17:38 PM »

Just had front right wheel bearing replaced. Bearing had only 3-4 little balls, which caused a noticeable "pop" when backing out of driveway and turning to the right.
Also could hear grinding, when driving. No grindind when stopped at idle.
Bearing replaced, no noise now.

Thanks, that crossed my mind. I replaced the rear bearings and they we're shot. If one is worn usually the others are too. I'm slowly getting to the front. I want to do the CVs, bearings, and all bushings and mounts by spring. Then this summer I can concentrate on the body and interior. I don't know what I'll do when I get her done. :)

mitch1204

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 07:29:08 PM »

I think you're right Jim. I took the car on a road trip to FL. The sound was more prevalent when under throttle climbing an incline or speeding up. The car quieted down while coasting. I'll dig in the front end when I get home.

One surprising note is last trip I averaged 24 mpg. This trip I averaged 29 mpg. That's a huge difference. What I think done it was switching to synthetic oil. Maybe the rear wheel bearings and new tires helped some.

Jim Simms

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 10:46:46 PM »

That sound is aggravating. Every sound of friction causes you to clinch.
If anyone drives on a road where there is a wall on your right, or little traffic, you will hear it. Pull up to a stop, and it goes away. Rev the engine, and you do not hear it. So, to us semi-mechanics, who have lost all our tools we used on our 1960's model cars, we use our ears as well as our eyes (noses too).

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 11:07:21 AM »

One surprising note is last trip I averaged 24 mpg. This trip I averaged 29 mpg. That's a huge difference. What I think done it was switching to synthetic oil. Maybe the rear wheel bearings and new tires helped some.

Do you have an automatic?  I got upwards of 35MPG all summer, about the time winter gas came in and I got my exhaust fixed(sounds really good now), my mileage dropped to around 30MPG. 

Jack
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 11:39:07 AM »

Yeah it's an auto. I have a couple leaky injectors from my Chinese eBay rebuild kit so I know it will improve more. This thing is draining my wallet. I'll buy new injectors after I finish the front end.

The factory says the auto got 26mpg so anything above that I am happy. I'll be tickled when I get above 30.

The exhaust I see there is a resonator available. I wonder what that sounds like? I wouldn't mind a low rumble. I just don't want it to sound like a Fast and Furious coffee can exhaust.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:42:56 AM by mitch1204 »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 11:07:46 AM »

I have always liked the sound of turbo mufflers since the days I had a new corvair turbo and especially like the price compared to other performance mufflers.  I've recently discovered turbo tube mufflers from Summit Racing.  They are available in various inlet sizes and lengths.  I plan on a header, high flow cat, turbo tube and 2 1/4" system after I do paint and interior.

Jack
Jack Byrd