TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: transmission cooler lines  (Read 2951 times)

liltroy

• multiple vehicles
transmission cooler lines
« on: September 30, 2014, 04:51:25 PM »

Hello everyone. I just bought my daughter a 91 capri convertible. non turbo, automatic. Ive done a full tune up including all filters, oil change, plugs, wires,cap and rotor. Also installed a new top and new fuel filter with new pickup screen. The car was was originally kept in the basement garage of a cabin by the lake and was only used to transport back and forth to the lake so its only got 80k on it but needed ALOT of maintanance and cleanup!!!! IVe almost got it ready for her to drive now except, while changing the transmission fluid and filter, I noticed the previous owner had cut the trans cooler lines and looped the line back to the transmission without the cooler!!!!! I guess that explains the horrible looking fluid!!! Im hoping it will be ok since the car was never driven for more than two miles at a time like this but I need to get the cooler plushed and hooked back up but Im not sure which line in the in and which is the out. I'm hoping to couple the original lines back together after flushing so as not to have to remove the front bumper to get to the cooler. It would be very helpful if someone could please either post or email me some pictures of how thier transmission lines are run and where they are hooked on the transmission. Thank you in advance for any help!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: transmission cooler lines
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:31:17 PM »

There's an H-shaped metal union that permits the the trans fluid to bypass the cooler for when it is too cold. This lets the trans reach operating temps faster. Make sure you grab one.

I think the Capri has a two-part cooler, one external out front & one portion in the radiator. Make sure these are not leaking internally/externally - have to question why they were bypassed in the first place.

Welcome to TeamCapri & Good luck! Sometimes those short-trip cars need the most maintenance even with low miles, when they're not run up to temp it's incredibly rough on the car.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

liltroy

• multiple vehicles
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 04:51:47 PM »

i dont see any outlets on the radiator to hook any lines too. I agree they unhooked it for a reason so im definately gonna check for leaks. id really just like to have some picks of these lines properly hooked up especially since i plan to run an auxillery filter inline. i wanna make sure its on the line coming back from the cooler, not going to it.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 09:19:17 PM »

Sounds like someone replaced the radiator with one from a manual car.

Do you still have the front mount cooler? It's a pretty large piece I have one from an old parts car I installed it on my Pontiac Grand Prix as an auxiliary cooler.

I don't have any pictures to offer, I don't own any auto capris. Not my forte', lol.

It went into the H-piece, and then the radiator and front mount cooler were hooked in series, but I dont recall which came 'first'.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

liltroy

• multiple vehicles
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 11:44:05 PM »

thanks for thee help. the metal h is still there as well as the front mount cooler. i ran hose to the cooler, from cooler to an inline filter, then back to transmission. i feel dumb for asking but im suppossed to check fluid with the car running and in park right?