TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Strange light blue wire.  (Read 3656 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Strange light blue wire.
« on: May 22, 2014, 03:13:09 PM »

Greetings, new to the forum, and new to Capri's.  Just bought one Tuesday and haven't even picked it up yet.  According to the PO, it's been sitting a couple of years.  Will run on ether, but won't crank.  No fuel coming from tank, so I've already ordered a new fuel pump.  After sitting for years, figured it wasn't a bad idea.  There is a loose light blue wire with stripped end in the wiring harness behind the battery.  There are a couple plugs in the area, but neither of them has a light blue wire.  I wondering if anyone had an idea if this should be connected to something?

I'm sure I'll have more question in the future, but thanks for now, Jack Byrd

Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Strange light blue wire.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 05:08:10 PM »

Can you post a picture of the wire when you get ahold of the car?

Is the intake piping assembled and air-tight? Any vacuum leaks between the VAF and the throttlebody can cause a no-start situation, the fuel pump "on" switch is located inside the VAF and needs airflow to activate. The pump also does not prime when you turn the key ON as most cars do, this sends a lot of people to replace the pump when it's a much simpler issues.

When the car cranks, does the tach needle bounce? A common problem is a failed ignitor which results in loss of tach signal which will not fire spark or injectors. It may run for a bit, and then shut off as the ignitor warms up and fails.

Welcome to the forum, hope we can get your issues sorted. Are you planning on keeping the car, or is it for a swap?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blueamber

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 11:56:22 PM »

That wire is probably the one going to the brake fluid level switch under the master cylinder.

Almost all my no-start Capris that have sat for awhile are fuel pump related.  If the tank is rusty/cruddy inside when you change the pump, look to drain it (siphon), and clean it as best as you can.  New strainer on the input in the tank would be in order, and a new fuel filter on the firewall also.

Hope you have a winner Jack, the last non-running Capri I towed in turned out to be my daily driver now for 4 years...Chris

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 09:07:44 AM »

Can you post a picture of the wire when you get ahold of the car?

Is the intake piping assembled and air-tight? Any vacuum leaks between the VAF and the throttlebody can cause a no-start situation, the fuel pump "on" switch is located inside the VAF and needs airflow to activate. The pump also does not prime when you turn the key ON as most cars do, this sends a lot of people to replace the pump when it's a much simpler issues.

When the car cranks, does the tach needle bounce? A common problem is a failed ignitor which results in loss of tach signal which will not fire spark or injectors. It may run for a bit, and then shut off as the ignitor warms up and fails.

Welcome to the forum, hope we can get your issues sorted. Are you planning on keeping the car, or is it for a swap?

All that should keep me busy for a while.  This is my first FI car and I've got a lot to learn.  As for now I'm not sure whether I'll keep it of flip it, if the engine is still good, I definitely won't swap it, the body is just too nice.  Really good solid car.  Thanks for the info, Jack
Jack Byrd

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 09:10:15 AM »

That wire is probably the one going to the brake fluid level switch under the master cylinder.

Almost all my no-start Capris that have sat for awhile are fuel pump related.  If the tank is rusty/cruddy inside when you change the pump, look to drain it (siphon), and clean it as best as you can.  New strainer on the input in the tank would be in order, and a new fuel filter on the firewall also.

Hope you have a winner Jack, the last non-running Capri I towed in turned out to be my daily driver now for 4 years...Chris

As it is, it won't reach the master cylinder, but I'll check that out.   I thought I had read on here that the Capri has a drain plug, and I hope that right because I know this thing has old gas.  Thanks for the help.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »

There is indeed a drain plug, it may be buried under the rubber undercoating on the tank - you may have to 'liberate' it :)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 09:58:33 PM »

Light blue wire mystery solved.  It's the power wire for the fuel injectors.  The harness was dressed to what I would call the wrong place and the plug for it was hidden.  A new terminal and it fired right up, no more problems, well except for the brakes and the tires and......hey it's running, I'm happy.

Thanks for the help, Jack
Jack Byrd