TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: tell us about your exhaust mod  (Read 4407 times)

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
tell us about your exhaust mod
« on: February 01, 2014, 06:27:58 PM »

this may sound shallow or vain but i lost my tone.. this is a dream exhaust job, the highest of quality... but dead silent.

i asked my shop to keep 2.5" pipe, but they put in factory spec pipe..
so there was a small mix-up, by a top notch biz.. i didn't say anything, i was in a hurry, as usual.

what is a good mod for factory spec'd exhaust and muffler to enhance sound?
i don't want a fart can, but thought there may be important notes about glass packs selections that i can learn about.
i had straight 2.5", no cat, had muffler, good sound -- now i have 1.5", no cat, with muffler, silence

i guess i don't want to sound like i'm faking-it with glass packs, but if i do, i want something awesome without cutting-out all of the new pipe.
i'm asking for something i have no idea how to describe... i'm asking for something that i don't know exists.. unique
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:31:13 PM by luvit »
omgimluvit

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: tell us about your exhaust mod
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 12:42:20 AM »

You have a nonturbo engine, correct?

You *had* 3" pipe? why'd you have it replaced? How was it even run, as 2.5" is really pushing it as far as fitting over the rear axle. I cannot see 3" making it

For good power/flow on an NA engine I'd use 2". Turbo cars I've run both 2.25" and 2.5"

I would not go above 2.5", for fitment reasons.

If you're looking for more sound, while keeping the existing piping - try a different muffler. Or put a resonator/glasspack in place of the muffler. This will bring up the volume.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 01:20:45 AM »

yeah, i had the 2.5" go under the axle.. i was surprised how few times my muffler or pipe dragged on pavement.
i put my spark plug wires in the wrong order, after several attempts of turning the key i eventually got spark and a big backfire which split my muffler.

i went to the shop to just have them chop off my muffler and put on another.
they talked me into replacing my clamped-together pipes with madrel bent pipe. i said ok with 3"
ah well.. i should have said something when i saw they used something that looks 1.5/1.75 to my eyes.
i'd do 2.5.. i plan to turbo or supercharge.
when i assembled my own exhaust, i could only round up enough 2.5" pipe from 3 auto stores, not any other sizes. it was a bad day to shop for pipe, i guess.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:31:41 PM by luvit »
omgimluvit

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »

3" is not really a common size for exhaust pipe, I had the same issue when I built my 2.5" system I had to order a bunch when I did mine.

I am working on a supercharger kit for someone, if you are interested in going that route maybe I could make two kits as I go
Do you have a large nose crank?

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 10:11:10 PM »

omg, yeah. i had all these super charger notes a year ago and don't know where they are.
before you get involved in it, give me a guesstimate on costs.. i won't hold you to an terrible guesstimate.
i'm large nose.. i have auto transmission.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:42:26 PM by luvit »
omgimluvit

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 11:10:37 PM »

mm k.. according to this thread, i determined i had a large nose crank.
http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,902.msg20125.html#msg20125
you developed a tool for large nose crank, shipped it to me, and i loved the results.

large nose crank.. i like m62 supercharger or whatever maxes-out. lol.
these words it type.. i don't even know what they mean anymore..
omgimluvit

Sceeter

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »

Hi I have a 2.25" on my 91na standard  what I did 2.25" to a 28" round cherry bomb down the center then after the s-pipe a cherry bomb oval turbo muffler then 2.25 out to the end. No fart can sound just a deep 4cyl. sound not offensive. John

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »

mm k.. according to this thread, i determined i had a large nose crank.
http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,902.msg20125.html#msg20125
you developed a tool for large nose crank, shipped it to me, and i loved the results.

large nose crank.. i like m62 supercharger or whatever maxes-out. lol.
these words it type.. i don't even know what they mean anymore..

Yep that's the large nose crank. The supercharger system I am working on NEEDS that crank for the special pulley that gets mounted to it.
Rough price estimate? I'm really not sure yet.

Parts necessary
-Crank Pulley
-Pulley system bracket with idler and tensioner
-Custom intake manifold to mount charger
-Throttle body adapter for charger
-Custom alternator pulley
-Longer belt

I'm pretty certain this can all be run on stock XR2 electronics, I wouldn't trust it to N/A stuff. So - xr2 ecu, harness, knockbox, distributor, injectors.

If I had to make a rough guess right now it would be about $1000 for the parts kit (stuff I would make from scratch) + the charger (you can source yourself, an Eaton M62 off an early GM 3.8sc engine, figure $200-300) + XR2 electricals bits

Water/methanol injection would be ideal to add too, there are plenty of relatively inexpensive kits out there.

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 06:30:39 PM »

i mis-spoke earlier.. i had 2.5" pipe.
wow on $1,300 supercharger solution. i also, forgot how much complication goes into it.
i think i'm not going to have the finances until Late March or April.
i can't find my supercharger notes, yet, but i bet i wasn't much below that figure.
omgimluvit

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »

Hi I have a 2.25" on my 91na standard  what I did 2.25" to a 28" round cherry bomb down the center then after the s-pipe a cherry bomb oval turbo muffler then 2.25 out to the end. No fart can sound just a deep 4cyl. sound not offensive. John
hey, john.. i missed your post. that is very interesting. can you get some pics and audio?
i guess i'm afraid of glasspacks because i'm told my driving habits would wear them out every 12 months.
omgimluvit

ReedStemen

• '91 Capri
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »

I have a 2" full exhaust. Strait pipe sounded terrible, glasspack sounded terrible, but my current setup with a Dynomax Turbo muffler sounds awesome IMO. No cats or cannons, muffler $70 on amazon.

-Reed
-Reed