TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Stiff Shifter after sitting 6 years  (Read 3763 times)

Slimbob

Stiff Shifter after sitting 6 years
« on: September 16, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »

Hello,
I'm now ready to get my 1992 N/A Capri back on the road. The car has sat for rroughly 6 years and the engine seems to be running smooth but the shifter is very stiff moving to any of the forward or reverse gears. No grinding or issues like that. Just stiff.

Is there known remedies with cables or linkage? Has someone dealt with this in the forum? The search engine here is a bit "iffy".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Slimbob

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 01:52:00 AM »

Is this a 5spd or Automatic?

If it's 5spd-  I'd suspect the joints on the linkage might just need to be worked, or were over-tightened in the past. If the transmission is filled with gear oil, it can be a little stiff on cold days until it warms up.

For an automatic I'm not quite sure - try some white lithium grease on the shift cable both at the shifter and transmission ends.

If you get her going will you be bringing her to the NorthEast Capri Gathering on the 29th? It's not that far from Telford  

-Rocket
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Slimbob

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 03:25:00 AM »

Rocket,
Sorry, 5 spd. I thought about the cables/linkage. Will have to crawl under this week after work. Want to change the tranny fluid. Do these use 90W gear oil or some other?

I wanted to get her going last year for the Gathering  but didn't have the time or money. Hopefully she'll be street legal this week but not sure how she'll look. Not sure but the 29th is ringing a bell on something I have scheduled. Will have to check with the boss. If we are not busy, I'ld love to come. Understand it is at/near the Delaware Water Gap? Need more details.

Thanks and hope to see you at the Gathering,
Slimbob

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »

On the 5spd it's just two linkage bars, no cables. Is it super hard to move around, have you driven it? It may free up with use.

I put 80w90 in my transmissions, If you wanted something thinner you could use the 75w90 or even ATF. I would not recommend ATF in the turbo transmission though

And yes- Delaware Water Gap visitor center just off rt80. We meet there, socialize, and then depart for our cruise from there. The route will be determined that morning via a vote. More details at www.caprigathering.com or if you check the "meets/shows" section of TeamCapri here there's a thread with details.

Slimbob

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 02:23:00 AM »

All,
I have posted my 1992 N/A Capri for sale in Craigslist.com (Lehigh Valley, PA).

I thought I would be able to restore it but just discovered the floor boards were rusted through and some frame rot.

I still believe this would make a good restore project. I just don't have the welding skills to repair the rust.

The care has 94K miles on it. I just finished rewiring the front turn signal/parking and marker lights. Engine runs good.

Interior is in good shape. Needs glove box latch and pass side door pull.

I hope this goes to a good home. I'm just trying to re-coop my investment so far of $350. The car was a gift from my sister.

Thanks,
Slimbob
I wsas really looking forward to making it to the N.E. Gathering next week!

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »

That's sad...But I understand. If I had the cash, I'd grab it from ya. I could use a decent parts car. Good luck with the sale!
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »

How bad is the rot? Can you post some pictures?

I just got done doing some rust repair on a Kia, I might be able to stitch it back together for you for a reasonable price, if the cancer isn't too extensive

Slimbob

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »

Rocket,
I'll try to get some pics tonight. Might have to wait for W.E. Missed work (Sick) yesterday. Have to make up the time. I really wanted to get this car going.

Thanks,
Slimbob

Slimbob

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »

Rocket,
Hope your Gathering went well and the attendees is growing. I hope to be there next year.

I have spoken to "The BOSS" and will be keeping the Capri. I plan to garage the car over the winter and teach myself to weld, take care of the rot in the floor and frame. Do any other fixes it needs and proceed from there.

Thanks for all your input. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me in the coming months for suggestions/help on projects.

Slimbob