TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Donor car parts advice...  (Read 2374 times)

CapriProject

Donor car parts advice...
« on: May 26, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »

I've done a parts search for a Capri's automatic trans from salvage yards & the only found one 200 miles away (1-way). I've put in a 'wanted' ad in Dallas's craigslist looking for a local donor car (with an auto trans) & yet have had no replies.
When (if) I do find a donor car, what else sould I need from the donor car so I can convert mine over to automatic?
Thanks...

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »

I could not imagine driving one of these as an automatic. I thought the 5 speed NA was slower than a snail.

You will need the computer for sure, maybe the switch as well on the brake pedal to allow it to go into gear
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

CapriProject

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »

I understand why you wouldn't want an automatic on a 1600 N/A Capri... I understand you have a desire for speed & power that a non-turbo Capri much less one with an automatic trans couldn't supply. But, my project involves cutting-up my Capri into a 3-wheeled vehicle. One that will be narrowed to 36" wide (except front engine compartment) with the in-line seats (not side-by-side) occuping the center 'hump' area. The elimination of the clutch pedal & the shifter from between my legs is more important to me than 'extra speed & performance'. If I can not find an automaic Capri donor car here locally then I'll just have to figure a way to retain the clutch pedal, re-locate the shifter & linkage. As it looks now I'll need the automatic trans, a different computer, maybe change the wire harness leads that connect the computer to the auto-trans & possibly some assorted 'safety-related' switches. I don't know for sure but if there is no donor car around here the list won't matter.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »

here, use this site it will assist you in your search....

http://www.searchtempest.com/

depending how far you are from phoenix, there were several auto capri's in the yards here. dont give up on what you really want to do. you will find one and be happier with the final result
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible