TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Breaking in engine!!!  (Read 2327 times)

blackknight

• Capri XR2
Breaking in engine!!!
« on: October 01, 2014, 05:42:40 PM »

Just did a complete rebuild forged Pistons, rods the whole 9, now I'm stuck nobody can give me a clear answer on what oil to use when breaking it in. I want to run Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 but the old school machinist said not to run synthetics during the first 30-40 miles, then the dragstrip boys say different so now I'm in a situation I don't want to destroy the engine after all that big loot was spent need advice from the capri team

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Breaking in engine!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 09:20:51 PM »

Not sure man to be honest, I've never had the luxury of a fresh engine. I think it's important to keep real clean oil in it at first.
You may have better luck on ClubProtege with this question, lots of BP builds over there and the procedures should be the same.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Sceeter

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 09:04:36 AM »

I've built a lot of motors [car's, bikes ect.] in a 44 yr's as a mec. use regular oil for break in synthetics  are to slippery for the rings to seat in right. More important is to pressurizes the oil gallery's so they are full of oil before start up. An if new cam's were put in don't idle the motor.     

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 10:38:49 PM »

Most of the major performance oil manufacturers make a dedicated break in oil.  My personal preference is Royal Purple.  I run all Royal Purple lubricants in my Capri.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Breaking in engine!!!8
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »

Regular oil and first change by 500 miles. Just like sceeter said you want to seat the rings. I'd wait until the third oil change if you want to go synthetic.

Today is a little different with better metals and tighter tolerances. This is still old school. Enjoy the new motor.