TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Killing my battery  (Read 2230 times)

blueamber

Killing my battery
« on: December 01, 2013, 04:31:48 PM »

I don't know where to look next...

My white 91 xr2 is drawing 4 amps with the key off, thus killing the battery real fast overnight.  Four amps is the equivalent of the brake lights being on.

I've pulled the BTN fuse under the hood and the current goes away.  My 93 electrical book says that 60 amp fuse feeds the interior fuse box, connects to the alternator, and the a/c circuitry.  I've pulled every interior fuse, the ignition relay, and the alternator connector with no luck.  Does anyone have any thoughts, or access to a 91 book that may show other circuits on that BTN fuse?...Chris

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Killing my battery
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 04:52:15 PM »

I can check my 91 manual but I don't think it's got a whole lot of detail on circuitry. tech-capri has large format whole car wiring diagrams that might help.

4 amps is pretty substantial draw, though
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blueamber

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:52:16 PM »

Turned out to be a bad alternator.  It still charged up the battery when running, but a bad diode allowed current to flow with the car off.  Diodes are supposed to let electricity flow in one direction only, so getting it rebuilt and back in soon...Chris

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 06:53:46 PM »

i may have this same issue with my duralast alternator.. can it be an intermittent problem?
omgimluvit