TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Newb questions  (Read 1727 times)

kajun

Newb questions
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »

How is it going. I've been messing with engines for a while now but new to the turbo scene.  Thought about turboin my Infiniti g20 being the sr20 is so great but I couldn't pass up the deal I got from my stepdad. 91 xr2 for 100 bucks. Gota replace the ignition due to squerels eating the silicon from the wires and the mastercylinder and hard lines. It's been on blocks for about 4 years now so I gota really go threw it and check everything. But my main question is besides putting some mystery oil in the plug holes to prevent dry start is there  or how do I prime the turbo to keep it from a dry start. Also what all do I need to go threw on it before first start up. (only has 80,000 miles on it). Thanks and really sorry for the newbish thoughts. I've learned alot just from reading the forums last week or so.
91 xr2 (being built up)
95 g20 daily driver (built up sr20de)
99 zx6r ninja (custom)
01 Harley sportster 1200 custom
77 CJ7 with rambler v8

rcdraco

Newb questions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »

I would recommend you change all the fluids, including coolant, and you might even want to change out your M/T Gear Oil.  That many years of sitting you could have loads of trouble beyond gasoline being sticky, better safe then sorry.

The turbo itself is pretty safe as long as you don't thrash it on cold starts, aka any engine, and even though it's not necessary, give it some time to cool down once you're about to park it, to let the turbo settle down.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Newb questions
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:31:00 AM »

New fluids, new gas, injector/deposit cleaner, etc.

I'd recommend priming the engine by pulling power to the ignition coil or some other method of removing spark, and then getting a good battery and cranking the car, let the starter cool, crank again, etc. This builds oil pressure & gets oil moving thru the engine.

When the engine first starts you'll probably hear a lot of clatter from the top- end, thats the hydraulic lifters pumping up. It should go away once the car warms up.

Good luck, let us know if you have any problems. Also, welcome to TeamCapri!

-Rocket
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"