TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Plugs fouling  (Read 3660 times)

darqueyes

Plugs fouling
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:53:00 AM »

Alright guys it's time to defecate or get off the porcelain receptacle.  I need answers.  It's getting to be that time for precious to come out of hibernation.  I posted this last fall and got no answers.

The plugs in cylinders 2 & 4 (or so I've been told) foul out in a matter of days.  The last time it happened they were just cleaned up for a quick trip and the car started sputtering in less than 60 miles.  It's been suggested injectors and computer.  I am willing to take it to the local Ford dealer and having it diagnosed, so that is a possibility.

So tell me please - the only friends I have in this whole world - WTF should I do?
Terri
\\\'94 XR2

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Plugs fouling
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:20:00 AM »

Hey Miss Terri! The most likely problem is with injectors, if the ECU was going south it would be all cylinders. I guess Russ could send a full set and then have a shop install them.  Gus

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Plugs fouling
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »

Hey Miss Terri!  Check around for a shop that specializes in jap cars rather than the ford dealer.  Gus

Phillip

Plugs fouling
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:35:00 AM »

The first thing to do is to identify how they are fouling look at the plug is it oily, carboned or full of crust. If you are having oil fouling the fuel isn't the problem. If it is carboned up fuel is the problem. If it is crusty you might have a leaky head gasket and it could be sucking coolant. You should have a compression check done first. Check the compressions, if it is low squirt some oil in the cylinder and check it again. If it goes up after the oil, the rings are bad, if it stays the same it could be valves or head gasket. My experience is that when you have cylinders that are next to you displaying the same symptom it is usually a head gasket but you haven’t provided enough info to determine this.

itsmeisatu

Plugs fouling
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »

Terri
I remember at the rainy meet in Freeport a cple yrs ago Rick was having trble with missing and sputtering, I thought he commented at the time the Capri ECU fires cyls 2&4 and 1&3 and that it was a common problem with the ECU's going bad.  If Rick is watching maybe he can confirm That.
George

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Plugs fouling
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »

Hey Guys! This is incredible, the things that are learned on this forum. I'll still say check with Russ for a spare ECU to change over and check.  Gus

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Plugs fouling
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »

That was my first thought, because those injectors are tied together. The ECU's injector driver might be holding that leg on all the time or longer than it should be. I'd also recommend testing another ECU in its place.

Terri, PM me. I have one you can use.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

darqueyes

Plugs fouling
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »

Alright.  I knew my boys would take care of me.  My ex mechanic is the one that told me it is the 2&4 cylinders.  He never elaborated exactly how they were fouled, but if he suspected bad rings or valves I think he would have said.  I've already discussed buying a new ECU from Russ.  Is there anyway mine can be tested to determine if that is in fact the case?
Terri
\\\'94 XR2

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Plugs fouling
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »

Yes, that would require testing the pulsewidth on both injector legs. If its inconsistent then I'd suspect a bad ECU.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Plugs fouling
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »

Hey Guys and Dolls!  What a dude that Rocketman is!  Gus

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Plugs fouling
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »

Terri-
As I suggested before, I can send you the ECU,and you can swap them - if it works, great!  If not, you send me my ECU back - No harm, no foul!

--R
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

darqueyes

Plugs fouling
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »

Russ that is wonderful, but I don't want you to waste the postage, it's my car my headache.  Are you still near Spring Grove?  If so, I will find out if my brother is planning a trip up this way soon and have him bring it along.
Terri
\\\'94 XR2