TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Issues after winter break  (Read 2446 times)

Krymac

• 1991 XR2 Convertible
Issues after winter break
« on: May 03, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »

I have some issues with my XR2 maybe someone can help me out with.

Last year before I parked the car for winter it developed an intermittent power loss during driving. This would happen maybe once a day sometimes even less. While cruising in 5th gear on the highway all of sudden the car would seem to lose power, and when I hit the gas pedal harder it had just enough to keep going at speed. That would last about 5-10 seconds, (time varied) then would go away and car would drive perfect. As it was almost winter time I did not try to mess with it.

Now after the winter break, the car starts but runs for less then a minute and then starts bogging down till it dies. If I hit the gas pedal makes it die faster it seems. Other then regular maintenance items that I already did I also replaced the VAF and fuel pressure regulator. I added dry gas and fuel injector cleaner, etc.

Have no clue what to test or where to look next. Any advice would be appreciated,
Mark.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Issues after winter break
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 06:16:44 PM »

I would take the fuel filter off and tap the inlet side on a table or garage floor and see if any trash came out. I would also inspect the inside of the gas tank if it's the original tank. The fuel pump/access hole is under the rear seat bottom. It has two L shaped hooks about 4" or so in on each side of the seat bottom. Push the cushion in and pull up to remove. Then remove the fuel pump and inspect inside your tank. If it's rusted no fuel cleaner or conditioner will help that problem. Many tanks are rusting. I changed mine last year and read about even more.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Issues after winter break
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:21:45 PM »

Fuel filter
Check your plugs/wires, cap&rotor. I've had some loose plug wires that have wreaked havoc
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"