TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: car sputtering and sounding crapy  (Read 9508 times)

Colorado1

car sputtering and sounding crapy
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »

O.K. My hose looks new now with a nice shiny well done job with electrical tape(rerouted). Vaccuum improved just slightly, but it ran better(that was one leak I think). Drove it kinda hard had a couple misses, once pretty bad kinda like a rev limiter cut out but @ 60 mph & 5000 rpm's on trying to climb & next shift would've been about 6000. Gonna look for a better timing light to make sure it's exact. Was looking for a temporary hose for that about 5:00 this morning. Ya know the boost looks fine(6), but I can't really hear blow-off. Is that normal on these 1.6's. Don't hear spool much either. I think that's just me from the WRX back then.

Colorado1

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »

Timed it-no difference. When I can afford it new wires & cap. Did clean the cap & rotor a few ago. Doesn't burn oil, just cuts out & hesitates. Noticed a lot of threads that intermingle this same topic. With low compression and vaccuum wonder if it needs a rebuild. $$$ Need tires & top . + another car if this is going to be a project since it is my driver. If I replaced all vaccuum lines & a better fuel pump is that going to change compression @ all? & what's the best fuel pump for these?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »

Compression is determined by the rings & valves / valve seats. Other things like a blown HG can impact compression.

Did you perfom the comp test with-
-warm engine
-fuel injectors disconnected
-all spark plugs removed
-WOT

Squirting a bit of oil into the cylinders after & re-testing is a good check for ring condition. The compression #'s would bump a bit
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Colorado1

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »

Didn't diconnect fuel injectors, diconnected wires going to back of coil(taped close) w/Spark plug wires spaced far apart on board.did it outside. Will do again with injectors diconnected since I'll be using oil this time around today rain permitting.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 03:42:00 AM »

Don't try to disconnect individual injectors, use the main harness plug further down the harness.

Colorado1

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 04:53:00 AM »

Glad I went back to bed & read that last one. OK- so #1 going straight across 105,105,100,114- with oil 140,140,135,140. Then I put cat litter in the spark plug holes to suck up any extra oil. Really though now the biggy, since they're running close 5% will this get me through until I can rebuild? I've got old man school starting in a week. I just looked up & noticed quite a bit of smoke coming through the exhaust manifold cover even after it stopped burning through the exhaust. You know it's got a crack but it's gotta be a little bigger than hairline. Let it cool down. Back to if it can survive a year w/o rebuild if I'm nice to it?

Colorado1

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 05:21:00 AM »

Also, is that enough to make it cut out. It's like Hollis said kinda feels like it's running outta gas, just not as bad since I have decent power. Just read that a stock 91 XR2 does 0-60 in 8.3 sec. Bet I could get close if I wanted to beat it up. Ref. 0-60 factory times.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »

So yeah, rings, but you should be okay running it for awhile. I've seen B6T's running as low as 80psi compression still running scary strong, even if you wanted to go ahead with upgrades you should be okay. Will need a re-ring at some point though

WHY OH GOD WHY WOULD YOU PUT KITTY LITTER IN THE ENGINE

kitty litter is made of bentonite clay and other silica based materials (sand!??!) which are abrasives... the little squirt of oil will burn off within a minute...

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »

Then I put cat litter in the spark plug holes to suck up any extra oil

You didn't really put Kitty Litter down your spark plug holes, did ya?
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Colorado1

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »

Thanks Rocketman, when fin. aid goes through I'll chip it1(mo. wait) These ECU's don't recognize the individual car I take it, so if I can find an extra @ a junkyard to run on while I send mine to you it should work right? I can solder wick the old out for swapping. I still need to find the miss now & NO ideas. I've looked everywhere for vaccuum, electrical. What about a fuel pump like a Walbro or something that fits. You know how we are it's gotta run A+. I can run smooth 92% of the time if babied, but when it's bad it's bad. Didn't like my kitty litter in the piston joke?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »

Stock fuel pump should be okay, not sure if we covered it before but how is your catalytic converter?

Colorado1

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »

I'll need to put one in since I noticed how cheap they are(not $80 or 90- but 30ish on eBay). Still 'bout flat broke for awhile. Last thing coming is that axle for the popping sound-boots were worn so went with the easiest to fix first instead of control arm. When I got it aligned I made sure he checked 'em good with my explaination. The "recalls" section explains a lot of possibilities that others have posted as found reason. I'll post over there once this thing gets here & is in. Only one O2 sensor right?

Colorado1

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 04:47:00 AM »

I thought that said O2 sensor earlier, but in my county we don't need to worry about emissions so I was going to remove it & put a straight pipe in. Gotta save it since they'll for sure start emissions again someday. Colorado is messed up with the emissions stuff from county to county. I live in the 2nd biggest city- drive 15 mins. out & it's different.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »

Im not sure about you, where I live is emissions exempt, and they're trying to get it in... however it will only for cars less than 20 years old - so by next year my car will be exempt no matter what

Yes only one O2 sensor

Colorado1

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 04:13:00 AM »

I tell ya Rocketman my list of what must be done is getting longer & what I WANT to do is getting extended. If I'm thinking this way now this coming semester is gonna be wierd. Wonder how much snow a soft top can hold? As long as one doesn't sell nearby within 3 weeks I'll be in good shape. Green car, red top, may as well paint the bumpers white & put a golden eagle on the hood & I'll be driving a Mexican flag. The cat will be gone,tires,top,seafoam,O2. When that's done I'll see where it's @. Not much to post until I can get all this done. Get it chipped by ya next-may be awhile unfort. since I gotta go back & forth too sch. Gotta rescue this car like a dog in the pound-out.
Pages: 1 [2]