TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Replacing the ECT?  (Read 2629 times)

blueamber

Replacing the ECT?
« on: March 19, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »

So, my ECT or wiring going to it is bad, throwing a 9 engine code and not runnning quite right at times...

So, how do you get to the ECT to unplug it for wire testing, or for replacing?  I can just put my finger on it, do you have to pull the intake manifold, or starter, or??  My book says to 'replace the ECT' with no other words...

cjizzle252

• 91 Capri XR2 89 Suzuki gsx1100 Katana
Re: Replacing the ECT?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 11:07:46 PM »

i believe it is under the intake manifold

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 10:30:12 AM »

It's easier with the starter removed but you are suppose to be able to R&R without doing that. You need little itty bitty hands. You can use a long screwdriver to pop the clip on the connector. Then pulling it off should be simple.

If you are lucky you just have moisture issues in the connector. Being intermittent that is a good possibility. The sensor functions the same as any coolant switch except it plays a part with fuel delivery. You should be able to apply heat and observe the resistance (ohms) to see if it's bad. I'll hook up an ohmeter and touch a stove eye with it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:37:30 AM by mitch1204 »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 02:23:13 AM »

It's kind of a tricky spot in the bottom of the intake manifold. Never had to replace one in-car. 17mm IIRC? Has a connector similar to the fuel injectors & idle valve, where you have to pull the metal clip back

(on the right side, between cyl 3&4 and down a bit)

You may be able to point-test the resistance right at the ECU by backprobing the harness.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"