TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Swap the cruise control  (Read 3173 times)

mcanchola2

Swap the cruise control
« on: December 09, 2016, 06:12:14 PM »

So after finishing the whole swap of an XR2 car to my N/A and making it turbo.. i was curious to have cruise control on my N/A swapped the steering wheel, cables, control box under hood, and i think if iim not mistaking a colorful gold like box that goes behind center console... is there any thing else that i need to make this work since i didnt see any dedicated fuse for it...  is connected i was just wondering if there was and inticator on the dash console that inticates that the cruise is ON.

Update12/14/2016: to does that were not aware of it, there is a section on techcapri that covers step by step trouble shooting for the cruise control link is below

http://techcapri.com/ServiceManuals/1991/Group%2037%20-%20Speed%20Control.pdf
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:06:55 PM by mcanchola2 »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Swap the cruise control
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:16:12 PM »

I dont believe cruise control works on a manual transmission. I could be wrong though I just dont see how it would work.  The thing is every Capri ive seen with cruise has been auto. I posted a link to a wiring diagram in the na to turbo swap page so check those pictures the location will be listed there. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 07:21:25 PM by WashiestSnake »
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

mcanchola2

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:36:49 PM »

Yes they were and if im not mistaken all XR2s came with cruise control. Like i stated in my previous post my 1992 XR2 donor car had it

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 08:51:36 PM »

My manual 1994 NA has cruise control.  Works well when I'm cruising on I-75 going 85 mph.  Feels like I'm going 110.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:17:12 PM »

I dont believe cruise control works on a manual transmission. I could be wrong though I just dont see how it would work.  The thing is every Capri ive seen with cruise has been auto. I posted a link to a wiring diagram in the na to turbo swap page so check those pictures the location will be listed there.

Automatics run the cruise control off a speed sensor, while the manuals run off the engine tach signal.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 04:22:43 PM »

Automatics run the cruise control off a speed sensor, while the manuals run off the engine tach signal.

The manuals run it off the same speed sensor from the gauge cluster. There's a proximity switch in the back of the speedometer that provides the VSS signal.
I have tapped into the VSS to get a GM heads up display unit working.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 08:06:36 PM »

I guess this is another way my car is unique, my cruise runs off the tach wire.
I also disabled the clutch switch so I can shift gears and the cruise control will hold the engine rpms.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 10:15:47 PM »

I guess this is another way my car is unique, my cruise runs off the tach wire.
I also disabled the clutch switch so I can shift gears and the cruise control will hold the engine rpms.

Im assuming you have the stock cruise control?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 09:07:51 AM »

How would you go about hooking up a cruise indicator light on the dash?

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd