TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor  (Read 3514 times)

CapriManxr2

• 1991 Capri XR2
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
« on: April 23, 2023, 11:55:51 PM »

How do I go about replacing the engine coolant temperature sensor? Is it easier to go from the top and take off the fuel rail and intake manifold or firm the bottom and unbolt the starter and other things in the way? My initial problem is that the car is running like crap and I've tried throwing parts at it like new coil pack, MAF, distributor cap, I hunted down all vacuum and boost leaks and the weirdest thing is I bought a new fuel filter for it but it won't start with it. It is pretty much undrivable, all the shops near me aren't taking new customers at the moment so I'm trying to hunt this problem down. What I've got so far is that the engine is running rich, this is because it won't start with a new fuel filter and it pops and bangs like CRAZY. The car feels REALLY slow until you hit boost or you go over ~3,000rpm. I checked MAF and TPS readings and they're all fine, I was going to try the engine coolant temp sensor before sending it in to the shop, I have found it but am not sure how to replace it. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 04:51:21 AM »

How do I go about replacing the engine coolant temperature sensor? Is it easier to go from the top and take off the fuel rail and intake manifold or firm the bottom and unbolt the starter and other things in the way? My initial problem is that the car is running like crap and I've tried throwing parts at it like new coil pack, MAF, distributor cap, I hunted down all vacuum and boost leaks and the weirdest thing is I bought a new fuel filter for it but it won't start with it. It is pretty much undrivable, all the shops near me aren't taking new customers at the moment so I'm trying to hunt this problem down. What I've got so far is that the engine is running rich, this is because it won't start with a new fuel filter and it pops and bangs like CRAZY. The car feels REALLY slow until you hit boost or you go over ~3,000rpm. I checked MAF and TPS readings and they're all fine, I was going to try the engine coolant temp sensor before sending it in to the shop, I have found it but am not sure how to replace it. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

The easiest way to get to the ECT sensor depends on if you have a lift/a good jack and two jack stands. If you do, I find it much easier to get to it from underneath the car. Don't even need to pull the whole intake manifold off. What I did was picked it up, removed the catalytic converter, removed the throttle body bracket, and removed the starter motor. That'll give you juuuuust enough room to get to the sensor, but you'll likely take a bit of a coolant shower doing it from below.

If you don't wanna climb under the car, it is possible from up top, just much more of a pain. I forget what all I had to remove, but I want to say it's the battery, battery tray, alternator, and intake manifold.

CapriManxr2

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 09:25:06 AM »

Alright, I think I'll go from the bottom. I have some stands and a jack with a set of tools to get it done. I'll let you guys know how it goes and take pics along the way to document so others know what to do.

JJ

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 11:12:35 AM »

[quote author=EShepherd

The easiest way to get to the ECT sensor depends on if you have a lift/a good jack and two jack stands. If you do, I find it much easier to get to it from underneath the car. Don't even need to pull the whole intake manifold off. What I did was picked it up, removed the catalytic converter, removed the throttle body bracket, and removed the starter motor. That'll give you juuuuust enough room to get to the sensor, but you'll likely take a bit of a coolant shower doing it from below.

If you don't wanna climb under the car, it is possible from up top, just much more of a pain. I forget what all I had to remove, but I want to say it's the battery, battery tray, alternator, and intake manifold.
[/quote]

I thought I replaced this but I definitely didn't do any of that.... hmmm

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 03:15:49 AM »

[quote author=EShepherd

I thought I replaced this but I definitely didn't do any of that.... hmmm
[/quote]

There are 3 temp sensors on these cars. One is a switch for the fan, one is a sender for the gauge, and one is an input for the ECM. I'm like 99% sure the ECM one is the one that's a pain in the butt to get to because Ford decided it needed to go below the intake manifold.

CapriManxr2

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 10:34:53 AM »

So I replaced the ECT, It sure was a booger to get to. Basically, you have to be able to get the intake manifold bracket and starter out and you will have access to the sensor. You have to unbolt three bolts that hold the starter into a bracket and the engine block. After that, there are two bolts on top the starter that mount it onto the intake manifold bracket, those you have to do form the top, there are also two bolts on the intake manifold that hold the bracket on. After taking the bracket off, the starter should wiggle out. Once you have the bracket and the starter off you take the plug off the sensor and you need to fit a wrench in there to get it off. Like what JJ said, you will take a little shower but if you're quick with squeezing the new one on it isn't too bad. Once you have the new one on just reinstall everything the way it was. It was in total like 6 or 7 bolts and  I also had to take out the battery. I'll will be getting some pictures up so you guys can see what bolts need to come out.