TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Headlight motor grease  (Read 3113 times)

Racer_X

• 1991 XR2
Headlight motor grease
« on: August 30, 2016, 11:47:02 AM »

So, all of the threads about headlight motors mention putting new grease on after you clean up the contacts.
Does the grease go only on the gears, or are you putting it on the contacts as well?

blueamber

Re: Headlight motor grease
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 08:48:07 AM »

Contacts and copper plate as well if you want the cleaning to last awhile... copper will tarnish if not protected from the elements.  I use a heavy lubricant on the gear, light on the contacts, all water proof of course...

Racer_X

• 1991 XR2
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 10:14:42 PM »

Thanks!

Racer_X

• 1991 XR2
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 10:16:04 PM »

Hmm, I guess I will still clean the contacts, but they look pretty darn clean to start with.  For those of you who have had these apart before, what do you think?

I started out on this venture because one of the lights wouldn't go up.  As clean as those contacts look, now I'm wondering if the motor might be bad.

Racer_X

• 1991 XR2
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 09:18:12 PM »

Well, I cleaned the contacts up anyway and it works like a charm now.
I figured I should post my results anyway so if someone looks at this in the future they will know - even if the contacts look clean, they may not me clean enough.

Bitter

• My friends Capri is a thorn in my side.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 01:05:54 AM »

I used silicone di-electric grease when I did one recently because it resists electrical current and insulates parts. Two of the contact arms in this motor had a big wad of grease on them that had corroded green and was jumping them together causing the motor to cycle in an odd fashion. It would open about an inch and then fully cycle open to closed when the lights were put down, very weird. Once I cleaned the plate and contacts with high grit sand paper and polished it all up with a little rubbing compound I wiped everything with isopropyl alcohol (91%) then smeared silicone di-electric grease on all the parts and even the gears, now it works great, a little quicker than the other side actually.  The silicone grease is good to low and high temps so it won't gum up or easily melt off. https://www.permatex.com/products/lubricants/specialty-lubricants/permatex-dielectric-tune-up-grease-4/