TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Intro and questions  (Read 3019 times)

JThw8

Intro and questions
« on: April 16, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »

Hi Everyone.  New Capri owner her, she's a 1993 XR2.

I just purchased it to take on the Big Apple to Big Easy rally later in June (http://www.baberally.com) but after the rally I may keep it around to play with and drive in the summer.

I haven't actually seen the car, the seller dropped it off at my dad's house in MD and I need to get down there to pick it up.

Might sound a little scary buying sight unseen but the seller is a friend of mine so I feel his description was honest and $400 for a running driving XR2 seemed like a good gamble.

Friend only drove it the hour home when he bought it and put it aside for a future project so he hasn't given it alot of attention.  He's got too many projects and offered it up to me when I was looking for a car for the rally.

The 2 known issues he noted both seem to be common after lurking and reading here but I just want to confirm.

First, he said driving it home (summer temps high 80s) the temp gauge would start to spike if he "got on it" he said cruising around 70mph was fine.  My concern was the head gasket but there is no signs of that and he thought the radiator looked pretty crusty so it might need a flush or replacement.  Still planning on a HG replacement if required.

2nd, he said the ignition seems to break up under boost.  Again its ok driving around and cruising down the highway but when he "got on it" the ignition would break up.  I've ordered a full tune up kit except for plugs and wires because I wanted to get some input on what are the best to use for this application since they seem to be the root of the problem.

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
Intro and questions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »

Welcome to the forum! If you are like a lot of us here, you will soon fall in love with that $400 car. Great deal for a running, driving XR2.

As far as the temp goes, in my experience, these cars do tend to run a little hot. Both my NA and my XR2 run at the top of the temp gauge. It's a good idea to drain and flush the radiator and use a good coolant. Also, a good cold air intake is almost a necessity. I haven't done mine yet, but it is high on the list.

Don't know about your other issue, but there are a lot of people on here that know a TON more than I do.

Again, welcome to the forum and enjoy your new toy!
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Intro and questions
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »

The temp gauges will run near the top. If its running in the middle and spiking under heavy load, it sounds like a stuck open t-stat.

You'll want to do a full tune up before chasing down too many issues. Whereaboot in NJ are you?

Is this going to be a racecar or a driver? Hope you can make it to the NorthEast Capri Gathering this september!

Also, Welcome!
-Rocket
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

JThw8

Intro and questions
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »

Yep, full tuneup is on the schedule.  Any recommendations on plugs and wires?  I gather that they are sensitive from some of the reading I've done.

I'm in Southern NJ about 20 minutes from Philly.

Not sure of the future plans just yet, probably just some commuter use and a little tweaking, I have too many race car projects already, sometimes its nice to have something with better street manners.  Then again I also cant help myself sometimes so anything is possible.

Where and when is the northeast gathering?  I will try to make it if I'm in town at that time (doing quite a bit of travel for work this year)

Only photo I have right now.  My dad has looked it over and was surprised to find it is very clean (he's used to the junkheaps I usually take on the rally each year)

Heavensheros

• Old-Timer
    • http://http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2685897/1
Intro and questions
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »

best plugs i have used and use now are the iridium IX plugs
1992 Capri XR2
RocketMan VAF adaptor
Accel wires
Irundium IX
2.5\\" Thrush exauhst
Rocket Chip
Rims
H&R Lowering Springs
Tuner FX Racing seats
Gauges w/ A-pillar gauge pods
Accel superstock coil
FMIC

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Intro and questions
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »

OEM copper plugs are good for a cheap replacement, but they wont last as long as the Iridiums.

Plug wires - they arent too sensitive to anything, just keep the water out of the engine bay. Dont powerwash it!

The NECG is tentatively scheduled for the last saturday in September. It will be held in the Poconos region of PA, only about 2 hours north of you.

There's also the MACG in Illinois this summer if you'll be out that way.

Anyways - looks like you stole a nice XR2!

Email Russ if you have any parts needs.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

JThw8

Intro and questions
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »

Today was retrieval day so here's the report....its a heap. The photos lie, its a pile. YEA!!! We like piles.  No seriously, I was warned it was a heap and for what I paid Im ok with that.

Was red, poorly painted black, possibly by rattlecan over some terrible body work. The interior looks like the interior of a convertible with a bad top that's gone 178,000 miles.

The original piping from turbo to intake was replaced by 1.5 inch copper tubing...neat. So much crap plugged or disconnected under the hood I'm surprised it runs. Runs...hmmm...that's a vague term. The ignition breaks up between 2500 and 3500 rpm...ALOT. But above 3500 its a driveable with just an occasional reminder that something is amiss in the ignition. Turns out 3500 in 5th gear is right around 70-75mph so that's survivable.

On the upside the cruise control works!!!

The top kept me dry in the morning rain....it did not keep the whole interior dry, in fact the rear portion tried to make a run for the border out on the highway but that was easily sorted out.

So it was about a 2.5 hour drive home, and it made it. That makes this officially the first BABE rally car I've been involved with that was brought home on its own power, and its officially had more "working out the bugs" time than any other car I've set up for BABE.  Usually they get one trip around the block and I head out.

Even with the horrid ignition miss its more driveable than just about every other car I've ever had on the rally. Its just screwed up enough to remind you this isnt supposed to be easy. But I hope to sort that out because when it wasnt breaking up it was a joy to drive.  I have new cap, rotor, plugs and wires ready for it but I suspect there may be more afoot, I'll just go at it bit by bit (suggestions always welcomed)  Compression test is on the list as soon as I get a working day on it.

Oh the rear struts are shot too and I should probably figure out why the drivers front wheel has positive camber. Its a heap....but I like it.

JThw8

Intro and questions
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »

Bah, just went through a stack of receipts I found in the glovebox and it looks like the PO replaced cap, rotor, plugs and wired just last year, along with the fuel filter so it looks like he was probably chasing this issue for awhile.

Still going to put the new parts in but Im open to all kinds of suggestions at this point too.  Saw a few other threads on similar issues but nothing ever seems to point to a definitive answer.

TC92xr2

Intro and questions
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »

I'd check to make sure all the vacuum lines are good and go where they are supposed to, follow the diagram on the hood (If they didn't paint over it)

Mine ran like terd, Rocket suggested i check em, i did and found the problem within 15 minutes

Good luck

JThw8

Intro and questions
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 01:44:00 AM »

Yep, vaccum lines and grounds seem to be the order of the day.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at it this week.  

Everything under the hood is a mess so I wont be surprised to find bad lines.

JJ

Intro and questions
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 04:33:00 AM »

again, this 'miss' might be the elusive one that's caught quite a few of us.

Try disconnecting the tps or o2 sensor. This throws computer into safe mode. see if still drivable or if the miss goes away. doesn't mean those parts are bad, but does prove there's a signal going bad somewhere and nothing too mechanically wrong with big ticket items like distributor, coil, plugs, wires, etc. There's another thread someone chasing the issue currently.

JThw8

Intro and questions
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 04:43:00 AM »

Yes, I've been following those threads as the problems seem similar.  I will give the safe mode test a shot to see what I learn.  Thanks!

JThw8

Intro and questions
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »

Well I think I can report some success.  Further testing will be needed to make me feel completely comfortable but....

After spending the day out for Easter festivities with the family I had a 1/2 hour to tinker tonite and was looking for something quick to try and just "knock off the list" so I could move on to other tests later.

I also neglected to mention that the car was having trouble restarting, turn the key and everything went dead.  That was pretty obvious to me, bad battery connections.  So I pulled the connectors and cleaned them.  Then I moved on to clean the fuel pump grounds under the rear seat and the grounds near the thermostat as recommended in some other threads.

Took a 10 minute test drive and no miss, no stumble, just happy driving.  It felt great!