TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Offset Wheels & Bearing Issues / Kelmark XR2  (Read 8291 times)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Offset Wheels & Bearing Issues / Kelmark XR2
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »

If you swap to Aspire hubs to get the 4x100 bolt pattern you might be better off finding a proper adapter, it'll leave more room
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Surfnut

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »

That's a really good idea.  

Today as I was walking through the junkyard I was thinking that if I could find a 5 lug hub that would fit the XR 2, then I could get a 5 lug to 5 lug adapter just about anywhere.

Know of any 5 lug hubs that'd fit the Capri ?

Dave

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »

Nope, there is a 5lug swap that can be retrofitted from the 323 GTR but its only been done on the AWD 323 GTX. You've also got a better chance of getting struck by lightning while hand feeding a banana to the Loch Ness Monster than finding a set of those.

Not to say there isn't something that will work - Start looking at 5 lug Mazdas and see if their hub could swap into our knuckles. I know the bearings are different - probably larger - maybe have a shop bore the knuckles to accept the 5 lug hub?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Surfnut

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »

Sheesh.  I am sure am glad YOU know what you're talking about 'cause most of that's over my head!

I'll run your idea by my Pops and see if he has any thoughts.  He's looks a little simple but he thinks outside the box and really pulls through with some miracles sometimes.  

I'm going to head back to the U-pull Junkyard in New Ringgold tomorrow.  Maybe I'll be able to find out some pertinent info online overnight ?

Thanks a million for your help with this.  I owe ya again !

Dave

Surfnut

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »

After much thinking and internet searching, here's what I've got:

Option #1

Capri axles and wheel adapters:
Moser Axle will shorten one axle for $65 or two axles for $110.
Motorsport technology says they can build me two custom adapters to go from the Capri's 4 on 114.3mm Bolt Circle Diameter to the Chevy's 5 on 4 & 3/4" B.C. Diameter for $180.
By the way, for future reference, their website is:
www.motorsport-tech.com

Option #1 (B) The same as above except I shorten the axles myself...after all, I only need 1.5" out of each side...that ain't much.

Option #2

Go to the junkyard, find a 4WD Jimmy or Blazer or 4WD Sonoma, pull the front hubs, spindles and halfshafts.  (Jimmys and Blazers and Sonomas use the Chevy bolt pattern I need so I won't need adapters.  Additionally, compared to the Capri, they have HUGE brakes.  (A Jimmy's curb weight is nearly 4000 lbs...)

Have custom halfshafts made with a Capri inner CV joint and a Jimmy/Blazer outer CV joint.  If I send them the new CV joints, rcvperformance.com will make the axles to whatever length I specify for $285 per side and they will assemble the whole works with the new joints ready to go in the car.

Then, since I've got to fabricate new upper and lower A arms, go all the way and build a cantilever suspension system (maybe with airbags ?) and I'll be good to go.  Stock CV joints, no wheel adapters and stock, big brakes.  This'll be a lot more money but pretty darned neat to look at...

Option #2 (B):
Same as above but why can't I take a Jimmy halfshaft and a Capri halfshaft, cut them, weld the Jimmy outer halfshaft to the Capri inner halfshaft and make my own halfshafts to the length I need ?  A nice, healthy chamfer on each end of the cut, make sure the weld is excellent, the axle is true and balanced and I'll be good to go for about $600 less moola.

Thoughts ?

Dave

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »

Dave-
I'd go with the last option, IF you are 100% sure you can pull it off. The feeling of satisfaction (as well as a $600 savings!) would make it more than worth it.

Let us know how this goes......It's mighty interesting!!
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Surfnut

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »

Thanks for your input.  I'm also grateful to know that you find this interesting as it's certainly not a 100% Capri project but if all goes well, I'll be at the next Capri meet with the XR-2 powered Kelmark-as long as you guys won't mind me tagging along ?

I like the last option as well and as a backup, I'm thinking that if I can't make the custom Jimmy/Capri halfshafts myself (or if I screw 'em up), I can always swallow my pride, get my Mastercard out and have them made for me.  It's expensive but ever since the girlfriend dumped me, I don't have to justify my expenditures to anyone anymore !

Yep.  Livin' the high life, I am.
Thanks for your opinion,

Dave

CapriProject

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 03:51:00 AM »

I'm the other 'black sheep' here... my project too is not 100% Capri. The unthinkable 3-wheeled vehicle. Good luck with your project (& finding a new girlfriend that shares your interests)

Surfnut

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »

Hey Dude,

I've been looking at your posts and I appreciate some of the things you're planning on.  I've always wanted to build a three wheeler but they're virtually illegal where I live so I gave up on that dream a long time ago.  I hope you'll keep up with your project and post lots of pix and details - Good Luck!

I've pretty much given up on finding another chick- let alone one that likes cars.  I think from now on I'm just going to live in the garage:)

Anyway, moving on with my day and my previously mentioned Option #2 / Option #2 (B)....here's what I spent my day doing :

Meet my new friend "Junior".  He's head torch guy at A-Z U Pull outside of Reading Pennsylvania :

Junior cut both spindles & hubs out of a '96 Blazer 4 WD, 4.3l V-6.  I got the outer CV joints, axles (one's trashed), outer tie rod ends, and both rotors for a total of.......
$83 bucks.
He even dropped them in the trunk of my dad's car.  How awesome is that ?  God, I love Pennsylvania!

At this point I'm definitely leaning towards the Capri inner CV joints, custom halfshafts, Blazer outer CV joints, spindles and brakes and a cantilever spring/shock design but time will tell.

When I get home next week I'll start measuring and make up my mind what I'm going to do for sure.

Stay tuned to this Bat-Channel, same Bat-Time next week !

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]