TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Heat  (Read 6862 times)

BlewitUp

Heat
« on: October 28, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »

Alright guys, i give... Someone help.  I have no heat. Heater core checks out. I flushed it and both hoses are hot. It doesn't leak.  The temperature selector cable is attached to the blend door and functions correctly. Does the lower blend door contort an upper blend door?  Hot or cold, i don't loose any air flow.  It's literally acting like the heater core isn't there.  The car does come up to temp.

Now, i ask about another blend door because i can see broken linkage from the arm of the first door, and what appears to be a track for where a stud would come through for a second door to be operated by the same cable.  If that were the case, and there was to doors, one for hot, one for cold, one would assume you would lose air flow on hot given the other one must be stuck shut since it's not even the slightest but warm.

That is probably all gibberish garbely goop.  If anyone does know what the hell I'm talking about, please help. My nuts are little ice cubes.  Think of my unborn children!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Heat
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 05:39:00 AM »

Hahaha.

I personally havent had any problem with the heater blend doors myself - but I do know they can be problematic. Midcounty actually had a metal replacement piece for the broken part, but I'm not sure if its the same as you're talking about. Can you get a picture of what you suspect is wrong?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

BlewitUp

Heat
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »

Yeah, i have some but because of the angle, i figured they would be worthless. Ill post them up when i get home.

Thanks.

BlewitUp

Heat
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »

I guess this shows where the cable is actually connected.  I was worng in the first one.

BlewitUp

Heat
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »

I hope those help.  I just don't understand how the blend doors operate.  If there are two, and the hot door was stuck closed, and I can move what I am assuming to be the cold, I would think I would loose air flow when I slide it all the way to hot.  If I am moving the hot I would expect to have luke warm air when turned to hot.

I am lost guys.  Thanks again.

BlewitUp

Heat
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »

Anyone?  These pictures are on the drivers side under the dash.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Heat
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »

That looks like the part that Midcounty makes a replacement for, that does affect the blend doors to kill your heat

BlewitUp

Heat
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »

Well, is there a way to prop it open to get heat until i can fix it properly?

BlewitUp

Heat
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »

I found it on their site, but i don't see a picture of it. Lame.  I have tomorrow off so i WILL have heat one way or another in this damn thing.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Heat
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »

It's an aluminum bar with a steel pin in it, it'll be a couple days though im sure before I can get a picture

BlewitUp

Heat
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 06:14:00 AM »

Thanks

blueamber

Heat
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »

This is a pic I took last spring when I finally fixed my heater linkage, had to transplant cables from a parts car, along with a new bracket, the same broke one you have.

I took these from drivers side view, you can see things better, although I did take out the drivers seat so I could lay there and work things out in relative comfort.

That A part is what makes heat or not...I had attached a string to it to pivot it between hot and cold before I fixed it proper.

The part outlined in red is what usually breaks...it connects the linkage in a sliding fashion...seems overly complicated to me, but I didn't try to re-engineer it, just put in replacement parts...

I think why the part breaks is that the A lever gets stuck...when the vent foam material starts to dissolve, it sticks the vent shut...same thing happens to the fresh air vents...someone pushes the lever towards hot, it sticks they push harder and the part breaks...I sprayed lubricate all around the area to help witht he sticky problem, don't remember what kind...

Chris

BlewitUp

Heat
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »

Great... I'm really screwed.  I was affraid thats what I would see.

I an missing part "A" completely, and the stud to trun the door is snapped off.  I will post a pic of the carnage in a few.  

O, and guess what!  My heater core is leaking on to my ECU...

I am going to get a propane heater.

BlewitUp

Heat
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »

Even tried screwing a small self tapping screw into it to have something to turn...  No luck.  This really chaps my ass.

Heater core looks to follow common Capri issues too.

I am ready to part this damn thing out.  This was the last issue to correct, and almost the most important.

BlewitUp

Heat
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »

Blueamber:

Thanks for the picture by the way!  That really did help in answering my question.  Would you mind if I copy that post to the yahoo! goups page?  I started a file over there with the intent to show a "fix" or correction.  If you are a memeber there, perhaps you can post it?  It is under the "files" section, with a folder titled "Capri HVAC Blend Doors".  Thanks!

-Ryan
Pages: [1] 2