TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: wire color help, please!  (Read 4113 times)

hashadenough

wire color help, please!
« on: March 19, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »

Hi All,

I need a little help, please!!

Could someone with a 1991 non-turbo check on their car and look for this connector...

...It is on the top of the distributor. I need know how the colors of the wires on both sides on the connector match up. One side of the connector (male side) is white plastic, the other side (female side) is black plastic.

Here is the white side of mine...

And here is the black side...

My wires connect as follows from the white side towards the black side:

Solid yellow thru to the solid red.

Yellow with a thin blue stripe thru to a solid blue.

Solid black thru to a black with little tiny diamonds on it (At first I thought it was solid black also).

Black with a white stripe thru to another black with a white stripe.

Could someone please confirm that these are the proper color matches?! My wires were removed from the connectors to inspect the connections. I want to make sure they are right before I plug in another distributor! I'm really just concerned about the color to color match, not which holes they are in in the connector.

Thanks!!!
John

rcdraco

wire color help, please!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »

Everything looks good to me, unless you somehow completely flipped the connections.  Wiring diagram gets confusing sometimes, but your left side and right side both are matching like they should vertically.

hashadenough

wire color help, please!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »

I want to be sure that all the wires are connected properly as far as color to color goes... I'm not as concerned that they are in the right holes in the connectors, if that makes sense.

When the new distributor comes, I can move the wires within the connector, as long as I'm sure which color should be opposite from which color.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
wire color help, please!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »

Sometimes colors change from harness to harness, even for the same wire. I'd strongly advise against swapping wires around just to get colors to match. These distributors are specific to the Capri, and there should be no variance in connector pinouts.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

wire color help, please!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »

Yea honestly the connector on the capri is always right, as long as your new distributor is able to plug in it is correct.  The wiring harness does NOT go into that sort of detail, nor would it be helpful since aftermarket manufacturers can use whatever color they want on the distributor's wires themselves.  From your photo the connector appears correct on the harness side.

hashadenough

wire color help, please!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 03:34:00 AM »

Thanks guys.

I would never think to move wires around on purpose, especially just to get colors to match...

The wires were pulled from my connectors to look for a burned/damaged wire and I wanna make sure I have them back in the right holes, that's all. I was being careful and I'm pretty confident I got them back right, but I'm just being a little paranoid I guess... I usually take pics BEFORE I take stuff apart...

If someone could confirm for sure that the white connector has the two yellows and the two blacks in the right place, that would do it for me.

Thanks guys!
(by the way, this car will be for sale in August after my daughter goes to college - just a heads up)

rcdraco

wire color help, please!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 05:23:00 AM »

Can't say without driving up to my garage to check, but from the wiring diagram it appears correct.  Someone with their car in front of them can probably confirm it quicker.

hashadenough

wire color help, please!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »

Any help is really appreciated! The new distributor gets here tomorrow and I don't want to plug it in till I'm sure...

John

gary scott

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1993 N/A blue / white soft / blue hard top
wire color help, please!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »

Just checked my 1993 NA and it matches your pic EXACTLY. hope that helps.
for sale in august. where in NC are you. I'm very interested.
Gary

hashadenough

wire color help, please!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »

Awesome! Thanks Gary!!

I was pretty sure I had it right, but it's great to be certain!

We are near Raleigh. She can't take it with her to school, and I don't want it sitting in my driveway for four years (paying reg. and ins. for it to sit there).

Thanks again!
John