TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: 91 non turbo Capri won't run  (Read 3632 times)

Tigger66

• 91 Capri, 99 MB C280, 02 Dakota 4X4 Quad Sport
91 non turbo Capri won't run
« on: March 22, 2023, 08:34:26 PM »

Car was parked 2 years after starting and running just fine. Needed new battery so got that. Put fresh fuel, 4 gal. in tank. Will only start with starting fluid but won't stay running. Checked fuel cutoff switch in trunk and is depressed as should be. Do not hear fuel pump when key is turned to just before starting position. Any help greatly appreciated.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: 91 non turbo Capri won't run
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 08:54:15 PM »

The fuel pump does not prime when the key is on, it will only run while the VAF is open with air being drawn through it.

2 year old gas is going to be pretty nasty, 4 gallons may not be enough.

There is a fuel pump jumper on the firewall, jump that and the pump will run continuously as long as the key is on, see if your pump is running.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 05:26:46 PM »

The fuel pump does not prime when the key is on, it will only run while the VAF is open with air being drawn through it.

2 year old gas is going to be pretty nasty, 4 gallons may not be enough.

There is a fuel pump jumper on the firewall, jump that and the pump will run continuously as long as the key is on, see if your pump is running.

Let me piggyback here. The connector you want is gonna be a yellow two pin female connector under the hood, near the firewall on the back passenger side. Make yourself a little jumper wire with whatever you have handy and jump the two pins together. Then when you put the key to 'on', your fuel pump should run.

My car is currently doing exactly what you describe; so let me know if you figure it out. I'm going to try replacing my fuel pressure regulator this weekend, but honestly I'm just guessing with that.

Tigger66

• 91 Capri, 99 MB C280, 02 Dakota 4X4 Quad Sport
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 08:38:58 PM »

Decided to buy new fuel pump and glad I did. The old one looked like it had barnacles growing all over it. Used hand pump to remove all gas and disposed of it. Installed new fuel pump put fresh gas in and started right up. Now new problem is replacing 3 broken wheel studs on driver front side. Don't have a way to get car to a shop so hoping I can figure out how to remove the wheel hub assembly to take it to a shop for the wheel stud replacement work. Any advice/help is appreciated.