Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

My Capri is Broken

(1/6) > >>

Blobfish:
Hello

I've got trouble with my Capri, it's a 1992 XR2 non turbo Ford Capri. A couple of months ago it started to jump and hop (like it had kangaroo petrol in it) when I would take off but when I would get moving and go up the gears (it's a manual) it would smooth out. So I took it to a mechanic to try and get it fixed. Instead he just complained that it wasn't idling properly and that half the sensors didn't seem to work. Anyway he played around with it, made it slightly better and sent me home with no explanation for the hopping. A couple of days later when I had a look at it again, first it wouldn't start, after some fiddling it would then start fine but would immediately die.

After some research I decided to have a look at the idle air bypass valve, when it as tested with hot water the valve closed like it's supposed too, but the coolant part of it was completely clogged with coolant sludge so hard it was basically like cement. After a long time I did manage to unclog the coolant sludge and it's now back in the car. In addition, when I was having a break from unclogging it, I was looking at the air intake pipes and discovered that there was an enormous split in the rubber air induction hose and concluded that this was probably the cause of the hopping. So I patched the split and with an unclogged idle air bypass valve I started it up and amazingly enough the hopping was now gone! Unfortunately this was not the end of my problems, it was now idling very fast 2000 rpm when cold and would increase as the car warmed up and would start surging between 2250 rpm and 2500 rpm approximately, if the a/c was switched on it would lower the rpm by about 500 rpm and would be less likely to surge, also if you revved it it wouldn't surge.

So even though it wasn't totally fixed I felt that maybe I was near the end of my troubles because things had improved. But then the car threw me a curve ball. A couple of days ago I went to start the car and it turns over just fine, but absolutely no sign that the engine is even attempting to start. Fuel is getting pumped out of the fuel filter and the spark plugs are sparking, all the fuses I can find are alright, but no life from the engine. The only sign of life I've had so far is that during one of my attempts to start it it did suddenly spring to life. I've no idea why this particular time it did start, I wasn't doing anything different to the other attempts and when it started there was no problem at all, idle was still high but apart from that it was fine, turned it off and attempted to restart a few seconds later and it was as dead as a door nail.

I would really appreciate any ideas as to what's wrong because I'm at a loss, I do believe that there is a another problem with the idle air bypass valve because of the drop if idle when the a/c is turned on but I wouldn't have thought that would prevent the car from starting.

greywolf27030:
After you patched the air inlet hose, some of the idle problem could be the result of previous attempts to repair it. The IAC should also be increasing the idle to compensate for the A/C. So that is odd. I have been trying to solve the exact won't start problem for a while now. Get in, starts fine, next time, no start at all. Make a change, starts fine, next time, no start at all. Change something else, starts fine, next time, now start at all. Sometimes I hate computer-controlled cars.

McClain:
Had what sounded like the same problem in my 91' replaced the ignition coil and it runs great not. Not sure if this will help but I wanted to share.
P.S it sparks when testing but when under compression it will not. Best of luck!

Blobfish:
Thanks for the suggestions so far

--- Quote from: greywolf27030 on January 02, 2023, 09:10:55 AM ---After you patched the air inlet hose, some of the idle problem could be the result of previous attempts to repair it. The IAC should also be increasing the idle to compensate for the A/C. So that is odd. I have been trying to solve the exact won't start problem for a while now. Get in, starts fine, next time, no start at all. Make a change, starts fine, next time, no start at all. Change something else, starts fine, next time, now start at all. Sometimes I hate computer-controlled cars.

--- End quote ---

I did wonder if it being adjusted was largely the problem with the high idle. I have attempted to adjust the idle down, but all the adjustment screws that I'm aware of were already set to minimum idle or didn't really do anything. Trouble is I'm flying a bit blind because the mechanic didn't tell me what he adjusted. That said, my father thinks the throttle stop screw (the one with all the do not adjust warnings) has been adjusted. I'd post a picture of it but I'm new to forums and haven't figured that bit out yet. But it doesn't touch the stop on the dash pot.

I also measured the voltage of the plug that plugs into the IAC (when the car would still start) 12V as soon as I started it and if I turned the A/C on it would increase by about 0.5V. Apart from that voltage is reaching the IAC this doesn't really tell me much without comparing it with voltage readings from a good car.

--- Quote from: McClain on January 03, 2023, 11:32:22 PM ---Had what sounded like the same problem in my 91' replaced the ignition coil and it runs great not. Not sure if this will help but I wanted to share.
P.S it sparks when testing but when under compression it will not. Best of luck!

--- End quote ---

Interesting, I'll have a look at that. I've got the receipts from the previous owner which goes back to 2002 and I don't think the ignition coil was anything that was replaced so it's probably the original.

greywolf27030:

--- Quote from: McClain on January 03, 2023, 11:32:22 PM ---Had what sounded like the same problem in my 91' replaced the ignition coil and it runs great not. Not sure if this will help but I wanted to share.

--- End quote ---

Interesting, I hadn't considered the coil. When mine finally starts, it runs like a bat out of HELP me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version