Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

Can someone tell me if these parts are compatible?

(1/3) > >>

mr_gr1mm:
Hey guys,

I've been trying to get my capri compliant for NYS inspection and it turns out the bearings are bad - so I need to replace both front/rear bearings + pads + rotors. I have a list of parts that I think will work. Can someone just look this over and tell me whether or not these parts will fit? This will be my first attempt at any brake work and some of the parts on RockAuto are a little confusing. My main concerns are:

* Do I need to replace the spindle nut? Or can I just reuse the existing nuts?
* Are the rear inner & outer bearing seals the same? RockAuto has the inner/outer seals listed separately - but nothing available listed as "outer". Only "Rear" and "Rear Inner".
* What is up with the extra "hardware" that comes with the front brake pads? I assume that is necessary? Not all pads have the hardware.

(sorry for the links, I don't know how to embed images on this forum)
Parts List 1

Edit: I was looking things over a bit more and I think I answered one of my own questions. It seems the hardware kit is necessary for the front brakes - I still am not sure about the rear bearing seals so I'm going to wait on buying those until I get a response here. For now, I am going to do the front rotors/pads/bearings as those are the immediate issue. (I also picked up the rear rotors because rockauto is almost out - only 2 left!). Here is what I have now:

Parts List 2

I also noticed that Raybestos had a kit for the front rotors/pads/hw - so that saved me a little bit!

Thanks!

greywolf27030:
Be sure and get someone with experience to do your bearings. They require special spacers to set the preload and a special tool to determine the thickness spacer needed. A guy by the name of Paul Short in NC does this as a service. Ship him yours and he gets them right back to you. Otherwise, you'll risk short bearing life and even ruined knuckles.

mr_gr1mm:
omg thank you for this! Do you have his contact information? I assume I'll have to have him go through the same process for the rear bearings as well? Also do you have any input on my questions? I want to make sure I am getting the correct rear bearing seals. Thanks!

Rocketman:
You can DIY the wheel bearings. I have an out-dated and somewhat incorrect guide sticky'd here:

https://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php?topic=2718.0

The next time I have to do them (be it on my 94XR2 or on esheperd's xr2) I will film it and upload it to youtube, it's important enough to deserve a good video on it.

Mr_Gr1mm, I'm not sure where you are in NYS but if you don't want to mess with it you could bring them down to me, I'm in NE PA. Or the car, I should have room in my shop if I clean up a bit. I have the Ford special service tool for measuring pre-load and the ability to manufacture a different spacer if needed.

In my experience the spacer it came with is usually OK. The factory manual lists ~29 spacers, but if I remember right the measured preload has a tolerance of ~5 different acceptable spacer sizes so there's quite the wiggle room even in the factory specs.
The spacer has more to do with the tolerances of how the knuckle was initially machined, bearing's mfg tolerances are waaay tighter and *shouldn't* appreciably move spacer sizes. But I suppose that would be my opinion as amateur engineer/machinist, others may dispute this, so there's my disclaimer.

The rear wheel bearings are nowhere near as complicated as the fronts, the only issue you might have is removing the inner race from the spindle, but I think those are a slip-fit as opposed to press fit like the fronts. The outer bearing's race is tapped/pressed into the rotor (which is also the hub) which you won't need to remove if using new rotors.
The spindle nut one side in the rear is reverse threaded. Both fronts are conventional thread. Spindle/axle nuts are re-usable as long as they're not butchered. I have a special little punch/chisel I ground to neatly un-stake them.

mr_gr1mm:
Thanks Rocketman that is very generous of you. I will take a look at that guide you posted. I am near the Syracuse area so not too far from you.. however I don't think I'd want to be driving the capri too far now that I don't even have an inspection sticker (mechanic removed my old sticker). For the rear bearings, I found this youtube video that seems pretty straightforward - not sure what you guys think of it but it seems easy enough for me to follow (only issue for me would be removing the bearing/race from the spindle). As for the fronts - I wasn't even aware that there is a spacer (no mention of that on the rockauto.com parts list). Would you possibly be willing to mate the bearing/race and hub together if I ship my parts to you? I would pay you for your trouble as well as all shipping costs as you'd be helping me out big time!

Edit: I read through your guide and I can see the dilemma (definitely glad I am not trusting a minimum wage mechanic to do this job). I am a bit confused by one thing: are there two sets of bearings/races for each front tire? If so, your guide doesn't show installation of the bearing on the knuckle side - I assume it is the same size as the hub side bearing? The only part about this process that really scares me is removing the old bearings/races. I don't trust myself enough to do that without damaging something since this would be my first time. I'd prefer to take the hub and knuckle off and just ship them down to you along with the new bearings/races/seals, so let me know if you would be willing to do that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version