General > Build Threads

Nachius - Build Thread

(1/5) > >>

nachius:
Recently picked up a 1991 Blue XR2 w/ 108k on it.  Unfortunately bad radiator = blown head gasket.  I was planning on modding it anyways, but didn't plan to dig this deep into the engine this soon.  I have it torn down to shortblock and everything from the block forward removed.

Maintenance Work:
International Oil Pressure Sending Unit 58-4051-C2 to hopefully read oil pressure more accurately on the stock gauge
Purchased Timing Belt Kit - Timing Belt, Timing Seal, Cam Seal, Timing belt tensioner bearings and Water Pump
Purchased Apex Head Gasket Set
Purchased 180* Thermostat and gasket
Purchased A/C Delete length belt
Purchased O2 sensor to replace the front one w/ a broken wire at the sensor
Purchased Fuel Filter
Purchased Ignition Coil
Purchased PCV Valve
Purchased Flexible upper/lower radiator hoses to mate with aftermarket radiator
-Car Came with a Gplus 3 core aluminum radiator (~22x18x3) not installed to replace the bad one, but it will take some custom work to make it work since the bottom outlet is straight hence the flexible hoses, but I'll also have to adapt them to the right diameter sizing.
Plugs, Wires and distributor are new.

Heads are at a machine shop for cleaning, surfacing and valve job.

NEEDS TIRES will replace them before it's back on the road.

Weight Reduction:
All Under Hood A/C Components are gone will get to pulling the evaporator some time.
Removed all windshield washer components
Will "probably" pull the back seats
Will remove extra weight in the trunk (Spare, carpet, etc.)
Going to keep power steering
At some point will probably get lighter racing seats for the front
Possibly going to go with Konig Lightning Rims 14x6 at some point

Mods:
Purchased Maf sensor Adapter and cone filter
Purchased Knock off Type RS BOV
Purchased 6" Type RS flanged BOV piping
Purchased 2.5" FMIC and piping to custom fit the intercooler.  Slightly smaller than I would have liked, but it's definitely an upgrade and I shouldn't have to cut anything to run the piping.  ~ 28" end to end (around a 20" core), 6" tall and 3" thick?  Will get exact measurements when it gets here.
Purchased Manual Boost Controller
Purchased a few Oil Catch Cans
ECU Shipped to Matt for RocketChip Upgrade

Pending Research and Mods:
Want to upgrade the turbo while it's apart would like to go with the VJ11/Tbird hybrid, but parts are difficult to find
Going to build a 2.5" piping Intake, but not 100% sure on the configuration yet other than adapting the MAF to a cone filter
2.5"? Exhaust?  Custom unless someone points me towards something aftermarket

Current Work:
Started Porting the Wastegate tonight.  Goal is opening it to 23-24mm
Need to clean the block surface/deck for reinstalling the heads
-plan to tape off the cylinders and brake clean then scrape and lightly flat sand the deck checking it with straight edge and feeler gauge

Pictures and work updates to keep coming!

greywolf27030:
WOW....you're going to town on that thing. Pretty impressive start. If you retain the IAC, putting in a 180* thermostat, it will keep it in cold idle/rich mode all the time. 2 1/4" exhaust will support a massive upgrade in power and be easier to run. The cone air filter will change you from a cold air intake to a hot air intake unless you do some mods there. You didn't mention a larger intercooler, it will do more to increase power than some of the mods you've listed. Good luck with it, I'm gonna be watching and jealous....lol

nachius:

--- Quote from: greywolf27030 on September 04, 2022, 10:31:16 AM ---WOW....you're going to town on that thing. Pretty impressive start. If you retain the IAC, putting in a 180* thermostat, it will keep it in cold idle/rich mode all the time. 2 1/4" exhaust will support a massive upgrade in power and be easier to run. The cone air filter will change you from a cold air intake to a hot air intake unless you do some mods there. You didn't mention a larger intercooler, it will do more to increase power than some of the mods you've listed. Good luck with it, I'm gonna be watching and jealous....lol

--- End quote ---

Any idea how being in idle/rich mode will impact it with the RocketChip changing the fuel maps?  Thermostat is cheap I can always just order a stock one if that will cause it to be "too" rich.

2.25" custom exhaust it is then.  Will probably go 2.25" straight to a muffler with cat delete. I thought 2.5" might be overkill, but wasn't sure since I won't be running anything outlandish.

Front Mount Intercooler with 2.5" piping is up there in the list, it should be here this week. ;)

As far as the intake I'm probably going to try to get it routed to the fender well or bumper or build a box so it isn't pulling hot air from the engine bay, but that's why that one is still in the "research" phase because I don't know where it's going to fit yet.

Finished up porting the wastegate a little bit ago it's right at 23mm and I didn't want to open it any further because it's right at the edge of the flapper when I push it to the side.

greywolf27030:
Yes, opening up the wastegate is a great mod. The downpipe is a 2 1/4" and it is very tight getting over the rear axle, even with that. That intercooler will help a lot. The Rocketchip only addresses the fuel map in upper pressure levels. The stock starts leaning out above 10 PSI. The AUS cars came with the cooler thermostat, so their computers account for it, also why the temp gauge seems to be hot on US versions.

nachius:
Got the new water pump on, idler and tensioner pullies for the timing belt and test fitting the Intercooler today.

Will start grabbing pics tomorrow.  My heads should be ready to pick up this week as well.

Intercooler Test Mounting

23mm ported wastegate

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version